Mossberg 500 Action Slide Tube Sizes
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Mossberg 500 Action Slide Tube Sizes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2012, 12:09 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Mossberg 500 Action Slide Tube Sizes

Hello All,

I am looking to replace the forend on my 500, however I am finding it difficult to get information regarding the slide tube.

My Mossberg has a 5 round Magazine (holds up to 5, 3" shells). The forend it came with does not have the Action Slide tube assembly built into the forend, like other models I have seen. It appears to be plastic all the way around the Mag. The slide arms are attached directly to the forend. (based on the research I've done for this particular issue, this is the way the Post 2006 Mossberg 500's are).

I am in the process of purchasing a whole new forend set, including a full action slid assembly, but am not sure what size Slide Assembly I need to purchase. Is the size of the Slide tube based of the capacity of my Magazine? Or is it based off the size of the forend? Are the Mag Size and Slide Tube Size related?

Anyhow, that is my little issue. Hope I can get some help and thanks in advance!

- T7

"As you think, so shall you become"
~ Bruce Lee

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-24-2012, 02:50 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

There are two different lengths for the Model 500.Prior to 1973 all action slide tube assy. utilized a length of 7-3/4". In 1993 production changes, changed over to a tube length of 6-3/4" in all gauges. There is more info at Brownell under the Gun Techtab, then go to FAQ. On left side of page is listed parts&materials, click on shotguns.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:37 PM   #3

Liked 400 Times on 302 Posts
Likes Given: 552

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
There are two different lengths for the Model 500.Prior to 1973 all action slide tube assy. utilized a length of 7-3/4". In 1993 production changes, changed over to a tube length of 6-3/4" in all gauges. There is more info at Brownell under the Gun Techtab, then go to FAQ. On left side of page is listed parts&materials, click on shotguns.
Boyds also has good info on their website about this. The short answer is buy a forearm you like and then order a slide tube to fit it. The 6 3/4 will fit most aftermarket forends. Slide tubes ARE specific to the guage of the gun.

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!