Mossberg 185D care and repair..
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Mossberg 185D care and repair..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2011, 02:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Mossberg 185D care and repair..

I have a Mossberg 185D that was handed down to me from my father. The gun is in fair condition but needs some TLC. First issue is the bolt, one of the extractors is broken and I have found a supplier for this part. The second issue is the barrel. There is some slight rust on the barrel. What is the best process to restore the finish of the barrel without damaging it, and devaluing the gun.

Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-27-2011, 03:44 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8708 Times on 3768 Posts
Likes Given: 1339

Greetings, fellow Mossberg addict! We now have a 12 step program- step 1 is box up all your Mossy .22s and send them to ME!

Just for future needs, Vic & Cheryl Havlin at havlinsales.com for anything Mossberg. Really nice folks, good source of parts and info, they also run the Mossberg Collectors Assoc- and Vic used to work for Mossberg.

Re: Rust. Weeeeeellll- Bluing IS controlled rusting, so anything that fully removes rust (like Naval Jelly) also removes bluing.

For light surface rust- remove action from wood. Wet generously with a good light oil (product called KROIL is best penetrant oil I know of) Let it soak in for a day. Use a clean cloth (burlap works) wet with oil. Rub. When cloth gets dirty, shift to a clean spot- rust on cloth is more abrasive than cloth. Keep damp with oil, rub until arm falls off. Repeat with other arm. It is amazing how much you can do with a very low tech approach.

Heavy rust- same soak with penetrant oil. Use a COPPER Chore Boy pot scrubber, dampened with oil. Be sure it is not copper plated steel. Rub gently. Follow up with coarse cloth oil routine. Will remove copper that has transferred to gun.

Pitting- nothing removes it- metal has gone bye bye. Use penetrant oil to stop rust, chore boy to remove loose rust.

There are other techniques, but they can damage bluing. Easy does it, take your time. elbow grease and patience.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 01-27-2011, 12:22 PM   #3

Thanks C3,

This is the only "old" gun that I have, all the other guns I own I have bought new since about 2002 and on. Ive kept them clean and oiled so never had to deal with rust.

The good news is the rust is very very light some a was able to rub of with my finger. No pitting thank goodness! Ill pick up a good penetrant oil and get started this weekend.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:31 PM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

For light rust I prefer to use Kroil and 0000 steel wool. Then touch it up with Oxpho Blue available from brownells.com.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!