mossberg 100 atr feeding issues - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > mossberg 100 atr feeding issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2009, 09:58 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Feeding PROBLEMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
I have the perfect solution for you. Since only every other cartridge feeds ok, just shoot every other deer!
Ya know Bear,sometimes the easy solution is he hardest to see!!

Old 01-26-2009, 07:36 PM   #12

Default 100 ATR Problems

Feeding problems may not be the only issue. Check this out:

24hourcampfire: Mossberg ATR Train wreck!

Old 01-31-2009, 11:24 PM   #13

just logged on, STALKING BEAR, your input is humorusly correct. however, I have laid in a few strips of duct tape against the slope side of the follower and have some improvement. I then made this thickness improvement permanent by laying in epoxy and filed down changing the angle of the slope to be sharper of an incline. this fixed all but the last round issue. I the reshaped the steel box portion of the magazine well on the right side due to the follower tending to tilt up to the right side in the mag well. this has fixed the last round jumping issue 8 out of 10 times. the follower is a bit too narrow and is sloppy side to side so I'm seeking a way to narrower the box without destroying it in the process.

Last edited by mrnewland; 02-01-2009 at 12:44 AM.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:14 PM   #14

Could you post any pictures? I am still waiting for Mossberg to send me a new follower/spring assy. and mag. box. Once I get those I can "play" with the old ones and see what works.

I looked at the feeding process over and over as I worked the bolt. It seems that the follower is rocking or jumping as the rounds come up. I smoothed the sides of the follower with a jeweler's file, but no help. You are entirely correct that the follower has a lot of side-to-side movement.

I can't get it to copy but if you go to page 15 of:

http://www.mossbergs.com/manuals/100ATR_en.pdf

you can see that the magazine box is not flat sided as it is in actuality. If it was cut and bent in it would take care of the "slop" in the follower. However, it may push the round to the right too much and not "catch" the bolt guide on the right side. -AimHigh

Old 02-02-2009, 05:22 PM   #15

I should have added that a guy in another forum had the same problems and seemed to fix it with duct tape and epoxy. see:
Mossberg ATR 100 - Page 8

-AimHigh

Old 02-03-2009, 11:19 PM   #16

That other person is most likely me as I also post to that forum a little now and then. I'll attempt to take a few photos tonight if I can get my wife to show me how to uplaod and what not. Unfortunately, I don't have any before Photos!

Old 05-17-2011, 10:34 AM   #17

Default Mossberg 100 atr feeding problems

I had the same problem and finally got mine functioning properly. Mine always seemed to want to hang on the 4th bullet if I only had 3 in mag worked fine. Then I took it apart to clean, after taking stock off and reassembly I then had all kinds of problems. It seems to be very picky on how clip, feeder and spring are lined up. I also noticed if I tightened the screws too much the bolt would bind.
What fixed it: I propped the rifle upside down sitting on its scope. Then this time I left out the spring and feeder, I made sure I had the metal frame of the clip turned with the widest area to the back of gun and the small notch which allows the bolt clearance was towards top of gun. Aligned it carefully with the barrel of the gun and it sort of snapped into place. Tried holding the spring in its proper position in the stock which is easy for it to get misaligned. As I lowered the stock guided the feeder into the mag and let it move freely while I held onto the spring in the stock. Lined it up and pushed them together. This time it seemed to snap together better and the screws were easy to start which did not happen the first 4 times.I was very pleased that it started working flawlessly. Curiously if I really tighten screws still binds the bolt but much less than before. With it slightly backed off all works perfectly.