Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > mossberg 100 atr feeding issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2008, 01:53 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default mossberg 100 atr feeding issues

I got the 100 atr in .308 with the wood stock. gun worked flawless until I
removed the action from the stock for cleaning. when i reassembled the gun
the magazine follower felt a bit "hinky" and the rounds don't load or feed
correctly, IE : first one jams into the barrel/nut area, second is ok, third jumps completely out of the gun and falls out with the slightest forward motion of the bolt. Inspection reveals marks made in the stock inlet area show signs of the follower spring being off center. I've tried about 50 times
to "adjust the spring this way or that to no avail . HELP if you can

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-19-2008, 01:32 AM   #2

Default re: mossberg 100 atr feeding issues

I also have the .308 in black synthetic stock. I have an issue with not being able to load 4 shells and close the bolt over them. The shells won't compress into the magazine far enough. I also have the same issue as you, except only the last cartridge pops up weird and gets jammed in the barrel/nut area. This only happened with the 150gr soft points I was hunting with. It didn't happen at the range when I used some FMJ Ball ammo.(I haven't tried any other ammunition yet) I emailed the place I bought the gun from, and they put me in contact with the product service manager at Mossberg. He thinks it has something to do with the follower (I told him I thought it was the spring). They are sending me a new follower and spring, I told him if that doesn't fix it I am sending it in to get looked at. I will let you know if it fixes it.

Old 12-19-2008, 03:29 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have the same rifle in .30-06 and haven't had any problems at all. I bought it to drag thru the woods and hunt with and it has done that just fine. It's more then accurate enough for 300 yard shots. I'm curious to the outcome of this for both of you in case I may have the same problem in the future.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 12-22-2008, 01:06 PM   #4

Default Fix

Update:
I took my rifle apart last night, and found that the spring was not seated correctly in the pocket. I cleaned everything and put it back together correctly, and everything works flawlessly now.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:04 PM   #5

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Was going to point out the follower/spring is not positioned exactly as designed. Some rifles are picky because of follower/feed lip design and easy to get back together without getting exactly perfect. What I do when reassembling rifles with blind magazines is assemble upside down. That means the follower is exactly where it needs to be, then going in stock last. Try putting it together with scope on bottom with stock on topside-that way you'll be ensured of proper follower placement every time-1st time.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:02 PM   #6

I bought the 100 ATR in .270 Win at Wal-Mart last month and have the same feeding problems. There is a "cutout" in the bottom of the stock for the spring to ride in, but getting it situated just right is a chore. The last round out of the mag either jumps out when I extract the the previous round from the chamber or it turns sideways when I try to feed it in the chamber. The American Rifleman article from a few years back said it had a sheet metal follower. Mine seems to be plastic. I emailed Mossberg on this but haven't heard back yet. I tried to put a dab of silicone on the spring to hold it to the stock at the "right" place, but that didn't work. I also noticed that the diagram of the mag. box showed a bend or depression on the right side. Mine is perfectly straight. Any other comments or ideas?

Old 01-20-2009, 01:56 AM   #7

Long at last resonse to original post. after diassembling /reassembling this firearmm 10's of times I sent it back to mossberg in Eagle Pass Texas. After 6 weeks I got it back. The follower and spring had been replaced. But the same problem is still present. It seems to be part of the design for the rounds to be barely controled as they are stripped out of the magazine. I actually placed four empty shell cases from a .270 into the magazine and they actually behaved better than live ammo (with the exception of actually chambering) when cycleing the bolt in and out. The walls of the .270 are a bit straighter than .308 along with being longer. As of now Mossberg has stated that this is as good as this firearm will perform and that I should consider purchasing a 4x4 with a detachable box magazine. So I am simply stuck with a defunct firearm. I also own a Savage 110 with an internall box magazine designed for a straight line feed. I am considering purchasing a magazine for the short action Savage 10 rifle and adapt the stock of the mossberg to adapt the mossberg for a straight line feed system. Any pointers are welcome!!!

Old 01-22-2009, 02:40 PM   #8

mrnewland: Is your follower plastic? My problem in .270 is that if you load one round, it will not feed. If you load three rounds (top round in the same position) it will feed. This means that the steel ridge (that's used a a bolt guide on the right side) is large enough to keep the top round under tension and hold it there until the bolt moves it forward. The difference is in the side pressure as the bolt pushes the round into the chamber. I looked at an AK-47 mag I have. There is a form of a cartridge molded in the follower to keep the last round positioned correctly for feeding. I'm wondering if an empty case could be cut lengthwise and super glued or JB welded to the follower to keep that top round positioned. This may be a better idea than cutting and swapping stocks. You could also heat an empty case and lightly press it in the follower to create an "impression" that would hold that round a little better. -AimHigh

Old 01-25-2009, 05:05 PM   #9

Aim High: If my only feed issue were the last round out, This would probably work. however the first round out of a full mag seems to jam to the rightside
of the action. The second round seems to feed right but the third jams as well. the the last round jumps out of the reciever about one thid the way into battery. the first and third are positioned on the left of the reciever and both jam. In order to use this rifle in hunting conditions I must be able to cycle the action and feed a new round without having to look into the magazine and fumble with the ammo. It must work flawless every time. so I am unsure how to get the reciever and follower to correctly manipulate the
live round. Thanks for your input.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:32 PM   #10

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have the perfect solution for you. Since only every other cartridge feeds ok, just shoot every other deer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnewland View Post
Aim High: If my only feed issue were the last round out, This would probably work. however the first round out of a full mag seems to jam to the rightside
of the action. The second round seems to feed right but the third jams as well. the the last round jumps out of the reciever about one thid the way into battery. the first and third are positioned on the left of the reciever and both jam. In order to use this rifle in hunting conditions I must be able to cycle the action and feed a new round without having to look into the magazine and fumble with the ammo. It must work flawless every time. so I am unsure how to get the reciever and follower to correctly manipulate the
live round. Thanks for your input.