Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Mosin Trigger (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/mosin-trigger-70688/)

GaryGlock 08-19-2012 04:54 PM

Mosin Trigger

I was wondering if attempting my own trigger job would be illegal on my new moson nagant? An if not anyone could give me any tips? Thanks guys.

Axxe55 08-19-2012 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryGlock (Post 909106)
I was wondering if attempting my own trigger job would be illegal on my new moson nagant? An if not anyone could give me any tips? Thanks guys.

i am pretty sure it's not illegal, but it's not something i would recommend to a novice. have you ever done a trigger job on any firearm? if not, take it to a compentent gunsmith and let him do it. an incorrectly done trigger job can be very unsafe. i can't stress this enough, Do Not Mess With The Trigger! unless you know what you are doing. this is not an area for novices to be messing around. remember the trigger is part of what makes a firearm safe.

GaryGlock 08-19-2012 07:03 PM

No I've never really attemted anything this in depth. I DO know the trigger is a very serious part of safety tho. My thinking was the mosin is pretty cheap if I made it too light or made another error I wouldn't really mind to just scrap the whole thing.

Axxe55 08-19-2012 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryGlock (Post 909203)
No I've never really attemted anything this in depth. I DO know the trigger is a very serious part of safety tho. My thinking was the mosin is pretty cheap if I made it too light or made another error I wouldn't really mind to just scrap the whole thing.

personally if you have never done one, i wouldn't mess with it. too much bad can result from this if it not done correctly. if you are wanting to learn, then get a compentent gunsmith to show you how to do it properly. triggers are not a learn as you go area of a firearm. it's something that needs proper instruction on how to do it. but proceed at you own risk.

GaryGlock 08-19-2012 07:18 PM

I think ill heed your advice here. I knew it'd be touchy, that's why I figured is ask here first. Thanks axxe.

Axxe55 08-19-2012 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryGlock (Post 909220)
I think ill heed your advice here. I knew it'd be touchy, that's why I figured is ask here first. Thanks axxe.

you're welcome. just doing my part to keep people safe. if you want to make the trigger better, see if there are any dro-in trigger kits for the rifle. much safer if there is. also look around your area for a competnet gunsmith to do it. usually most don't charge too much to do a trgger job on a bolt action rifle.

Mosin 08-23-2012 03:48 PM

To be safe take to gunsmith. To be me....

I polished the mating surfaces (all metal to metal contact) with 2000 grit sandpaper until it had a slick shine. HAND polish to prevent taking off too much metal. Then I cut squares out of a soda can and punched a hole with a hole puncher. I used these as shims. To be safe (er, safer) I only used one shim but could've done more.

My trigger is better than it was, but it's a Mosin, still had that spongy trigger feel.

Of you're not a purist, they do make aftermarket trigger assemblies, but I have no first hand experience there.

BRAD313 08-23-2012 04:03 PM

I used a chip clip spring and put it in behind the trigger had to cut and bend it a bit then shimed it took the play out of the trigger if u look on you tube there's a video of u guy doing it