Mosin Problem
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Mosin Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 02:03 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Mosin Problem

I have a 1943 Mosin-Nagant sniper rifle that chambers and extracts an unfired round with no problems, but when a round is fired, it is very difficult to extract the round.....any suggestions on how to resolve this problem?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-30-2012, 02:06 AM   #2

Liked 2391 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Is your chamber cleaned really good. Sounds like there may be buildup in the chamber and when the round fires, the case expands in the chamber and sticks.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

CA357 Likes This 
Old 12-30-2012, 02:08 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I will check it for that....thanks for your response !!!

Old 12-30-2012, 02:21 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Mosin Problem

I have a 1943 Mosin-Nagant sniper rifle that chambers and extracts an unfired round with no problems, but when a round is fired, it is very difficult to extract the round.....any suggestions on how to resolve this problem?

Old 12-30-2012, 02:26 AM   #5

Liked 144 Times on 99 Posts

That's just a characteristic of the gun. Slap her around like a dirty Russian. I've heard of people trimming the spring on the firing pin but I haven't done it and wouldnt wanna risk it personally. Like I said just slap it around.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:32 AM   #6

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I also have a 1943 Mosin (though it's not the sniper model) and it has this problem occasionally. The bolt will open partially, but then reaches a stopping point. When this happens, I hit the bolt lightly with the open palm of my hand. It then opens completely and I can eject the spent round.

I think my rifle is fine; I've been blaming the Bulgarian military ammo that I'm using that was produced in the 70s. I'll be watching this thread to see what else gets posted about this; I've been curious about it, too.

If you can read this, thank a teacher.
If you can read it in English, thank a soldier.

Veteran
US Army 25th Infantry Division
South Viet Nam

Old 12-30-2012, 02:45 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I just joined this website and asked this question without looking at the entire forum. After looking a little, I see that I'm not the only one who has had this problem, so it seems that it has already been addressed and there are some good ideas that have been presented. I had no idea how much information is available on this forum....I'm hooked !!!

Old 12-31-2012, 03:26 AM   #8

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts

I have a1942 91/30 and after a good cleaning in the chamber and using a plastic pick to dig out all the old cosmoline and soaking the chamber in Breakfree CLP overnight, a 20ga bore brush and a 12ga mop. Polished most of the bolt and knocked off some of the really rough edges with a jewlers file. My bolt cycles better than my other bolt guns and locks up solid.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:54 AM   #9

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 490

Mosin Nagant is a battlefield weapon, not a precision hunting rifle. The bolt is a bit stiff but responds well to a brisk upward palm slap to eject, cock and rechamber a round...no need to gently cycle the bolt. Just make sure all the cosmoline is out of the chamber and the bolt is well lubed.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 12-31-2012, 06:34 AM   #10

Liked 184 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 185

When I got mine it had the same problem what I did was I took a brass cleaning rode and put the wire brush on it put it in a cordless drill and ran it through the chamber after that I didn't have any problems with it.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED