Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Mosin Problem (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/mosin-problem-79768/)

SwatMedic08 12-30-2012 01:03 AM

Mosin Problem

I have a 1943 Mosin-Nagant sniper rifle that chambers and extracts an unfired round with no problems, but when a round is fired, it is very difficult to extract the round.....any suggestions on how to resolve this problem?

kytowboater 12-30-2012 01:06 AM

Is your chamber cleaned really good. Sounds like there may be buildup in the chamber and when the round fires, the case expands in the chamber and sticks.

SwatMedic08 12-30-2012 01:08 AM

I will check it for that....thanks for your response !!!

SwatMedic08 12-30-2012 01:21 AM

Mosin Problem

I have a 1943 Mosin-Nagant sniper rifle that chambers and extracts an unfired round with no problems, but when a round is fired, it is very difficult to extract the round.....any suggestions on how to resolve this problem?

GaryGlock 12-30-2012 01:26 AM

That's just a characteristic of the gun. Slap her around like a dirty Russian. I've heard of people trimming the spring on the firing pin but I haven't done it and wouldnt wanna risk it personally. Like I said just slap it around.

rainmakerat92 12-30-2012 01:32 AM

I also have a 1943 Mosin (though it's not the sniper model) and it has this problem occasionally. The bolt will open partially, but then reaches a stopping point. When this happens, I hit the bolt lightly with the open palm of my hand. It then opens completely and I can eject the spent round.

I think my rifle is fine; I've been blaming the Bulgarian military ammo that I'm using that was produced in the 70s. I'll be watching this thread to see what else gets posted about this; I've been curious about it, too.

SwatMedic08 12-30-2012 01:45 AM

I just joined this website and asked this question without looking at the entire forum. After looking a little, I see that I'm not the only one who has had this problem, so it seems that it has already been addressed and there are some good ideas that have been presented. I had no idea how much information is available on this forum....I'm hooked !!!

srtolly1 12-31-2012 02:26 AM

I have a1942 91/30 and after a good cleaning in the chamber and using a plastic pick to dig out all the old cosmoline and soaking the chamber in Breakfree CLP overnight, a 20ga bore brush and a 12ga mop. Polished most of the bolt and knocked off some of the really rough edges with a jewlers file. My bolt cycles better than my other bolt guns and locks up solid.

Jpyle 12-31-2012 02:54 AM

Mosin Nagant is a battlefield weapon, not a precision hunting rifle. The bolt is a bit stiff but responds well to a brisk upward palm slap to eject, cock and rechamber a round...no need to gently cycle the bolt. Just make sure all the cosmoline is out of the chamber and the bolt is well lubed.

unclebear 12-31-2012 05:34 AM

When I got mine it had the same problem what I did was I took a brass cleaning rode and put the wire brush on it put it in a cordless drill and ran it through the chamber after that I didn't have any problems with it.