Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Mosin Nagant Milling Marks (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/mosin-nagant-milling-marks-91469/)

soldiereternally 05-30-2013 03:41 AM

Mosin Nagant Milling Marks

2 Attachment(s)
Milling marks, as we all know, are very common on war-production mosin nagants. My personal rifle is a 1943 Izzy M91/30, and it fires perfectly, perfect condition. That is, except for the hideous mill marks on the receiver. I know these don't affect function, but they are ugly. Is there any way to repair them?:confused:

(any help would be greatly appreciated)

JohnJak 06-01-2013 03:09 PM

It just adds character.

therewolf 06-01-2013 03:42 PM

I would not alter them in the least.

This rifle was made as the Nazi

jackboot was descending. It's a

silent testament to the desperate

time when it was made, and a source

of pride to a valiant people, who stood

up when the chips were down.

SSGN_Doc 06-01-2013 09:29 PM

The others have already told you why you may not want to do it, from ahistorical perspective.

You could stone the action smooth with polishing stones. But the time or cost if you paid someone to do it would be more expensive than finding a pre-war or early war example. That also opens the possibility of getting past the heat treated portion if the metal as well. Then refinishing the metal to protect it.

zaitsev44 06-02-2013 04:02 AM

I agree. It adds character. It shows the perserverance of the Russians, with shells flying overhead they still were manufacturing guns. Sometimes running them an armful at a time to the front lines. Character only a WWII vet can show!

soldiereternally 06-02-2013 06:30 AM

Well i have a excellent prewar model wanting to turn this into a cheap tactical rifle (already bought the Archangel stock)

srtolly1 06-02-2013 03:27 PM

As someone that has done what you are asking about, don't do it unless you have the proper skills, patience and a lot of time to dedicate to it. It was a winter project on a poor example of a Mosin for me. I have an ATI stock that I got for free and I did all the work my self.

soldiereternally 06-02-2013 05:11 PM

I have plenty of time. All I need is an answer: can these be repaired? If so, then how do I go about it?

SSGN_Doc 06-02-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soldiereternally (Post 1265583)
I have plenty of time. All I need is an answer: can these be repaired? If so, then how do I go about it?

Polishing stones from Brownells. It will take a lot of elbow grease and time. Then you get to refinish it. If you are going tactical, then you could also look into having the whole exterior sand blasted, then have a baked on coating applied. There are some that will also help cover small blemishes.

srtolly1 06-04-2013 01:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I used files on the bad ones, mostly jewlers files. Lots of time. I worked on it for a few months. Took off the rear sight and filed and filled in. Took a few inches off the barrel. Filed out the milling marks in the barrel. Oh heck, here's a pic.

Attachment 104021