Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > mosin nagant custom barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2012, 05:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default mosin nagant custom barrel

I have a mosin nagant m-44 and have sporterized it a bit and want to do something about that stock barrel. How easy is it to swap the barrel out for a heavier one? does it Amy gunsmithing?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-22-2012, 08:59 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5324 Times on 2779 Posts
Likes Given: 336

you are going to need to find a barrel with the correct threading and .311 bore size or stick to handloading and use .308 bullets and go with a 308 bore. you will also need a barrel vice, receiver wrench, a go and a no-go gage for 7.62x54r. the barrel is likely to be seized to the receiver and might require heating to break it loose.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-22-2012, 09:23 PM   #3

Could any gunsmith do this if i bought a heavy barrel online?

Old 04-22-2012, 09:42 PM   #4
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Most likely. But it will probably far out cost the value of the gun.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:58 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiohead123 View Post
Could any gunsmith do this if i bought a heavy barrel online?
not just any barrel will work. it has to have the correct diameter at the chamber end to fit in the receiver and the correct type of threads with the correct thread pitch to match the receiver

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-23-2012, 12:15 AM   #6

Liked 1122 Times on 725 Posts
Likes Given: 276

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
not just any barrel will work. it has to have the correct diameter at the chamber end to fit in the receiver and the correct type of threads with the correct thread pitch to match the receiver
You would be far better off just to buy the type of rifle you are trying to build.

If you completed your proposed project you would have a $600.00+, obsolete bolt action rifle worth about $100.00, maybe less after the alterations.

Someone was recently selling surplus machinegun heavy barrels for just such projects. It may have been Sarco or Numerich. If I remember right, they were threaded and chambered right for the Mosin-Nagant. Even with the barrel you need a lot of skilled labor to make it into a workable firearm.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 04-23-2012, 01:28 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
You would be far better off just to buy the type of rifle you are trying to build.

If you completed your proposed project you would have a $600.00+, obsolete bolt action rifle worth about $100.00, maybe less after the alterations.

Someone was recently selling surplus machinegun heavy barrels for just such projects. It may have been Sarco or Numerich. If I remember right, they were threaded and chambered right for the Mosin-Nagant. Even with the barrel you need a lot of skilled labor to make it into a workable firearm.
i agree but i dont think you would be able to sell it for 100$

if your looking for a diy project you can build to suit your needs for relatively cheap, i would look at buying a savage long or short action and choosing a caliber and building it up yourself.

the cool thing about savage bolt guns in the model 110/10 series you dont need to ream the chamber which makes it very doable for just about anyone.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:05 AM   #8

Yea those are good points. I have it pretty much done to how i like it minus the stock barrel. I might take it to a gunsmith and have him cut off the part where the bayonet was to make it look clean.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:58 PM   #9
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Have you shot the gun yet? Nagants sometimes have barrel harmonics issues and basically will not group without the bayonet. I would hate to have you finish all this work and make it impossible to mount the bayonet and then find that the gun won't shoot inside an 8" circle at 75 yards.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:58 PM   #10

If the picture worked that's what i have on it so far. I will take a better one when im home but it still shoots great just have to get it sited in

forumrunner_20120423_145724.jpg