Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   mosin nagant bolt questions (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/mosin-nagant-bolt-questions-22108/)

silver_q2002 01-13-2010 12:27 AM

mosin nagant bolt questions

ok guys id like to get me the sniper bolt for my mosin nagant but i cant seem to find them anywhere?? is it illegal to obtain or am i overlooking sites?
i see you can get the kit then weld it on but.. i dont have a welder i guess i could take it to a welding shop...
anyideas?
i just got in my mossy oak synthetic stock and a bi pod in for it and it fits nicely. now im just wanting to get the scope bolt need that slanted bolt upgrade:p

c3shooter 01-13-2010 12:44 AM

Problem with REPLACING a bolt- bolts are NOT drop-in parts. If replaced they need to be checked for correct headspace, and adjustments made to the rifle if needed. Failure to do so can result in serious injury and your name being taken in vain by the shooter on the next station over. Changing the bolt HANDLE does not affect headspace.

The simple thing to do is take the rifle to a gunsmith (not a parts swapper, a gunSMITH) and pay him the few paltry dollars to do this. Involves cutting the bolt handle, using appropriate heat sink paste to limit heat travel while welding, doing the welding, and smoothing the weld. Unless you are planning to do a LOT of M-N bolts, t'ain't worth the time, money and bother- as well as possibly killing a rifle.

m72law 01-13-2010 01:36 AM

you can get the turned down sniper bolt conversion from evilbay aka ebay....you send them your bolt or bolt body....they do the mod,then send your bolt back...just go to ebay and type in mosin nagant bolt...in search...there is one guy on there that does the conversion for 32.50+5.00shipping...the work looks pretty good

masterPsmith 01-13-2010 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m72law (Post 211953)
you can get the turned down sniper bolt conversion from evilbay aka ebay....you send them your bolt or bolt body....they do the mod,then send your bolt back...just go to ebay and type in mosin nagant bolt...in search...there is one guy on there that does the conversion for 32.50+5.00shipping...the work looks pretty good

I would not be sending one to him for the work. Most gunsmiths who do bolt work like this will charge you anywhere between $100 to $200 for welding on a turned down bolt handle. I've been doing this work for 43 years and it is not a $35 job. "BEWARE" who you send work to...........................................

Jim..............

m72law 01-13-2010 03:43 PM

your right Psmith...you get what you pay for...but we are talking about a mosin here not a mcmillan...i have seen some shotty work from self graduated smiths and gun bubbas that buy the ati mosin turn down bolt kits that turned out as good as the kit looked...not to good but functional:rolleyes:you couldnt pay me to use that sh**ty ati kit on my 80dollar mosins..i understand that experience cost,and reputation cost even more...but WOW we man 200bucks for a 10dollar turn down bolt on a mosin...heck if its going to run you silver_q2002 200bucks for a bolt job in your nick of the woods...just go to RGUNS.com and buy a mosin nagant with a turn down bolt for 155.00bucks.they are not snipers but you could change out bolt bodies and have your sniper bolt for your mosin & gain another mosin to add to your collection...you could say it cost you 55.00 dollars in a original bolt...not to bad if you ask me..

jpattersonnh 01-13-2010 04:01 PM

This is the man for custom bolt work. He does great work on MN's
The Boltman

karlsgunbunker 01-14-2010 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpattersonnh (Post 212214)
This is the man for custom bolt work. He does great work on MN's
The Boltman

+1
I had him do 2 bolts for me.
He is a bit backed up but does great work.

silver_q2002 01-18-2010 06:27 AM

well i just got my mosin back today!!
paid 20bucks for the bolt handle and $40 for my gunsmith to put it together!!! now i got the sniper bolt too!!
my next buy is going to be this mossy oak synthetic camo stock and a bi-pod!!!then a scope any ideas what kind i should get and where?