Mosin-Nagant bolt
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Mosin-Nagant bolt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2011, 10:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Mosin-Nagant bolt

I've got a 91/30 M-N that has a slight (user related) problem. While on a weapons stack, it got knocked over onto the bolt handle while the safety was on, the the bolt opened partially. Now it fires, but I have much difficulty operating the action; it doesn't rotate freely. It gets stuck about halfway up, but if I slap it hard it'll free the bolt. I disassembled it (the bolt) and checked it over for bent, broken, or otherwise unserviceable parts, but everything looks absolutely fine. I also looked over the chamber and receiver; same thing, fine. I've ceased to use this weapon for now but the question I pose is: Has anyone had a similar experience, and if so, need I get my weapon serviced? Or is it safe to use, albeit inconveniently? Thanks for your time.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-21-2011, 11:25 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8728 Times on 3776 Posts
Likes Given: 1341

The M-N bolts are, in GOOD shape, notoriously hard to open (unlees you use the 2 ft length of 2x4 accesory). Is it always hard to open, hard after dropping the firing pin on an empty chamber, or hard to open after firing a cartridge? The design has steel camming against steel at about a 45 degree angle, AND cocks on opening. If it very hard to open AFTER FIRING s live round- there may be a fine layer of dried grease lining the chamber- drill, solvent, and about a 20 g brush- spin for about 30 seconds, wipe clean. Surplusrifle.com also has very good info on M-Ns.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 03-23-2011, 01:32 AM   #3

It works smooth as butter while dry firing or just working the bolt; once I fire a live round it gets stuck. Like you said, I noticed it was difficult to operate when I purchased it (I'm a M-N n00b, so no prior experience with them), but I stripped it down completely and cleaned all the super-grease off of it and gave it a light coating of Rem-Oil. I worked it and worked it until it was always easy to operate, live ammo or not. Now, after the drop, I pretty much have to judo chop the thing to open it. I'll give what you mentioned a try and check out that site; you can never know too much about firearms! Thanks much for your input.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:12 PM   #4

Have you had the headspace checked? Excessive headspace can contribute to this problem. Also like c3shooter said, check the camming surfaces on the bolt body and the cocking piece. If they are rough, I smooth them with Cratex wheels and a Dremel and lube them with grease. Check the bolt lug seats in the receiver too. Most of these guns have been fired alot and there could be some setback there.