Mosin Nagant 91/30 Project - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum >

Mosin Nagant 91/30 Project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2011, 03:59 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

How are you going to bed the rifle?

Old 05-30-2011, 02:28 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

For the bedding, I'll be inletting the stock (if Boyd's ever decides to ship it!!!) and using Devcon Plastic Steel Putty in the action area all the way up to just before the barrel starts to taper. I'll also be installing aluminum pillars as well.

Pictured below:

Brownell's Release Agent
Devcon
Aluminum Pillars
Scope Base
Action Screws
Bolt Assembly with new Bolt Body

Mosin Nagant 91/30 Project - Gunsmithing Forum

Well ladies and gentleman, we're all set. All I need is the new stock from Boyd's and we can let the games begin. I get my cast off my right leg tomorrow, so I'll be able to get around easier.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:17 PM   #13

Liked 393 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default ATI scope mount.

I had one these mounted on my tomato stake project, all I started with was a barreld receiver and that was it that mount is two very large 10x32 machine screw holes in the top the receiver, the mount is solid and you have to pat attention to screw protrusion into the receiver causing bolt interference, I was able to file off a threads worth to get necessary clearance.

Im attaching a link to surpluserifles sporterizing site hope this helps if anything else this is fun site to look at once in awhile for ideas.
Surplusrifle Forum • View forum - Sporterizing

Pictured below is my scoped Mosin, It started off as a very rough parts gun with zero collectability so the decision to return it to original condition was out the question was cheaper to go this way. love the way it handles and points, and though Ive never had my sh*t together to get her on a target it seems awefully accurate to me as it will shredd a beer can at 98 paces useing Bear 208gr hunting ammo off hand.
Gunsmithing Forum

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 06-01-2011 at 06:25 PM.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:57 AM   #14

Default Mosin-Nagant 91/30

Just bought one from centerfiresystems.com for $99 and free shipping! I buy from them all the time. Bought several firearms over the years at real good prices for good guns! Will keep it original as I do all my WW2 Mausers, Enfields, and Mosins.

jeanp1948

Old 06-02-2011, 04:25 AM   #15

Liked 18 Times on 9 Posts

only thing about tearing into a relic is dont do it with matching part numberd mosins ,, you kill their history. while they are plentifull the matching serials arent, it is your rifle of corse but just be aware and please research before so you dont kill its value to collecters ,, theirs so many that its practical to buy another if you got one that matches. ,,,,
but in any case im excited to se the results the 7.62x54r is a strong round and i plan to get a few more and sporterise one that dosent have matching parts

Old 06-02-2011, 02:43 PM   #16

Liked 2615 Times on 1486 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

I just got my Mosey, a 91/30 M44 with matching SNs.(I've been told it's not

that hard to get matching SNs)

Apparently, it had never been fired since factory testing. After wiping

off the better part of a quart of Cosmoline, I was pleased to find it

only had minor blemishes.

It's great fun to shoot, and very accurate, given it's a carbine.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:38 PM   #17

Liked 175 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Sounds like a great project. I have enjoyed reworking several 91/30's, a 1930 and a 1936 hex receivers with matching numbers. Great for plinking if you have a recoil pad otherwise they are tough on the shoulder......

Old 06-02-2011, 08:12 PM   #18

Liked 9213 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I'll throw in my 2 cents and experience.... I have a 1938 Tula arsenal 91/30, that I paid a pretty penny for because of the condition (hardware looks great, stock is in battle condition, but I later discovered it has pits in the grooves, and I mean a lot.) I paid 150 for it, which is a lot for a mosin, but for the condition and all matching numbers, I'm happy. plus it makes a cheap deer rifle. I've looked up the ballistics in the past,and I believe IIRC new factory ammo is on par with 30.06 NOT .308. And IIRC, because of a better BC the 7.62x54r exceeds the performance of the 30.06 at the more extreme ranges because it loses less velocity over these distances (i.e. >500 yards). And as for surplus ammo, and it's accuracy and power? I picked up 60 rounds at a gun show for a total of 11 bucks; this ammo (brand and maker unknown, no markings on case head) shot minute of beer can at 100 yards. just to make sure it would put a round in the vicinity of where I was aiming, my first shot was at a pine tree stump freshly cut, about 16 inches diameter. The bullet passed all the way through. I've been sold ever since, and I think everyone should have one.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:03 PM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Ok, stock finally showed up. Required some minor fitting. So far I've fit and installed the Decelerator recoil pad and filed out the notch in the stock for the bolt handle. All I have left is the inletting, bedding, aluminum pillar installation and drill, tap and install the scope base.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:55 PM   #20

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInBlack83 View Post

Ok, stock finally showed up. Required some minor fitting. So far I've fit and installed the Decelerator recoil pad and filed out the notch in the stock for the bolt handle. All I have left is the inletting, bedding, aluminum pillar installation and drill, tap and install the scope base.
Looks good!