minimum breech diameter for shotgun
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > minimum breech diameter for shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2014, 02:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: Dallas... not willingly.,TEXAS... if I don't type it as big as possible, they'll kick me out.
Default minimum breech diameter for shotgun

So far, as much as I can gather, the minimum breech diameter of the barrel of a rifle should be the width of the base of the cartridge multiplied by 1.8.
But this does not seem to be the case with shotguns, as black powder fowler barrels of .62 caliber/20 bore seem to have walls that are only 1/3rd the thickness of the internal diameter of the breech.
My own black powder rifle has a breech at around 1.5 to 2xs the diameter of the bore. The barrel is not a true cylinder, but octagon in shape.

So this leaves me with mixed messages.
What is the minimum safe outside diameter of the breech end of a modern smokeless shotgun barrel in relation to the bore diameter?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-08-2014, 02:55 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10549 Times on 4555 Posts
Likes Given: 1692

Attempting to compare shotguns and rifles is similar to comparing lightning bugs and lightning. Not only do they operate at totally different pressures, but the pressure curve is different.

12 g- 11,500 PSI

308 Winchester- 62,000 psi

Perhaps your best measure would be to remove the barrel from a pump gun, such as the Mossberg 500 or Ithaca 37, and measure it. Very small bore shotguns, such as the .410 will have proportionally thicker chambers and barrels- not for internal pressures, but to withstand external abuses.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:21 AM   #3

Liked 835 Times on 536 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Also commonly European made guns have thinner barrels than US made guns(they often use different steel).

Old 04-08-2014, 03:29 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3358 Times on 1739 Posts
Likes Given: 354

It does certainly depend on the steel used. High quality steel can be thinner and still be as strong.