Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   Gunsmithing Forum (
-   -   Mini-14 Question (

McX358 03-02-2013 04:16 PM

Mini-14 Question
I have a customer who just brought me in a Mini-14; it appears it was sort of a basket case, all the parts not put together; however when he did, it would fire it would extract the fired case; not eject. Tired to walk him through over the phone, told him to bring it in. Now upon examination, it appears the receiver is a 185 series; however the bolt appears to be I believe a Ranch Rifle series. It does not have the push pin ejector in the bolt head, instead it appears to use a modified bolt stop to eject the spent cartridge. Now my question is this: Can I use the correct "bolt stop" that the Ranch series used, in this receiver? It heads spaces perfectly {although he tested before I could gauge it; not a safe method} the bolt works great, just an ejecting situation. I would have to order the parts of course, and I can get a bolt; but trying to save the old guy some money, on a fixed income; the ejector bolt stop is a way lower in price than the bolt assembly. Any help would be thankful; I will take some pictures and send them shortly.

McX358 03-27-2013 05:26 PM

As it turned out: Yes you can exchange the Bolt Assembly for a Ruger Stainless Ranch Rifle for the 185 stainless series. the Ranch Rifle Bolt Assembly will work in the 185 series perfectly, and like the Ranch rifle it will throw empty cases clear of the shooter, and to the side so no interference with scope. The trick you must also replace and use the bolt stop, ejector for the Ranch Rifle in the 185 series, no modification needed. Always remember with any barrel or bolt change out to HEADSPACE FIRST; my customer was very lucky this time, I scolded him well.

danf_fl 03-27-2013 06:02 PM

I'm glad to hear things worked out for the best.

McX358 03-30-2013 02:16 AM

Thank you, I have since been able to put together a Ruger Bolt Assembly Part list. They are the Ruger factory numbers, finding the old Armorers Manual is a most wonderful thing. Well I thought I could send it, I'll work on that part; if anyone wants it just email me I'll send it.