Mini 14 Muzzle Brake

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Mini 14 Muzzle Brake

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2009, 02:10 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Mini 14 Muzzle Brake

So after I lost my mind and shelled out big bucks for a new mini 14 with the protected front sight I bought a Flash supressor/Muzzle brake with Bayonet lug (the 'pin behind' front sight will not fit). The destructions said to remove the pin holding front sight, remove front sight and install Muzzle brake with lug and front sight included and reinstall pin. No Problem. Removed pin and tried to remove sight. Holly Sh!t how did they get that on there? a twenty ton press? My question is, Is there a secret to removing this sight, should I take it to my local Gunsmith or just forget the hole mess? I would be grateful for any help. Thanks.

Article II: A Well Regulated Militia, Being Necessary To The Security Of A Free State, The Right Of The People To Keep And Bear Arms, Shall Not Be Infringed.

Article IV: The Right Of The People To Be Secure In There Persons, Houses, Papers, And Effects, Against Unreasonable Search And Seizures, Shall Not Be Violated, And No Warants Shall Issue, But Upon Probable Cause, Supported By Oath Or Affirmation, And Particulary Describing The Place To Be Searched, And The Persons Or Things To Be Seized.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-25-2009, 03:29 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2692 Times on 1406 Posts
Likes Given: 216

The front sight is pressed on and must be pressed off. They can be a bugger.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:28 AM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Use cold to "shrink" the steel. Spray with cold spray or put in deep freeze and it will lighten the amount of force required to remove it. It you're SURE you'll never reuse the front sight, you can use Vice-Grips on it.

Old 02-28-2009, 03:38 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks, Had not thought about using cold. I have plenty of liquid refrigerant, should be ablr to cause enough contraction of the metal that way. thanks again.

Article II: A Well Regulated Militia, Being Necessary To The Security Of A Free State, The Right Of The People To Keep And Bear Arms, Shall Not Be Infringed.

Article IV: The Right Of The People To Be Secure In There Persons, Houses, Papers, And Effects, Against Unreasonable Search And Seizures, Shall Not Be Violated, And No Warants Shall Issue, But Upon Probable Cause, Supported By Oath Or Affirmation, And Particulary Describing The Place To Be Searched, And The Persons Or Things To Be Seized.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:28 AM   #5

Cooling down the whole thing won't help that much. You should heat up the barrel, and cool down the sight. I would use a heat gun on the hole thing. When it is good and hot, I would spray some coolant on JUST the sight to shrink it.

A good way to get the sight cool would be to take one of those cans of duster spray--like they have for blowing dust off of camera lenses or keyboards. If you hold the can upside down, the spray that comes out is liquid solvent, which cools down anything very quickly as it evaporates. Spray carefully so you do not cool down the barrel around the sight.

Then maybe a small block of wood and a hammer!

Last edited by Spanz; 02-28-2009 at 11:32 AM.

Old 03-21-2009, 02:12 AM   #6

Liked 61 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Im thinking that the front sight would have to be heated (use a electric heat gun) to expand the metal relieving its grip minutely and give it several stout raps with a brass drift and a good size hammer it should come off.

chilling the sight would only tighten it on even worse (cold shrinks steel/heat expands steel)

If you dont want to save the OEM sight slit it with a dremel tool/ cutoff wheel (not all the way thru to barrel metal) then give the slit a goodly rap with a cold chisel and appropriate size hammer to open it slightly and will relieve its grasp on the barrel.