Mini 14 jamming with factory mags - fires, but won't load next round

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Mini 14 jamming with factory mags - fires, but won't load next round

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2010, 09:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Mini 14 jamming with factory mags - fires, but won't load next round

I recently picked up a 183 series mini, used but in pretty good shape. The problem is that it will allow you to load a round and it will fire, but it will not load the next round. This will go on for about 6-8 rounds and then it might fire 6-8 rounds in row with no problem. I have tried the factory 5 rd and 20 round (new) and an Eagle 30 rounder that works in my other Mini. I have tried military brass ammo, winchester white box and remington. Wolf will not even eject from the gun. I have cleaned it twice and nothing "looks" to be wrong, but I am stumped.

ANY IDEAS on what to check???? Plan on taking it to a Gunsmith on Tuesday, but wanted to know if there is something easy to check first.

THANK YOU.....................

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-24-2010, 10:31 PM   #2

Liked 89 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 25

This is a broad question. It could be several things. Is it fully cycling, IE: extracting, ejecting and loading another round ????? Is it short cycling (not enough gas pressure ???????? Is it fully cycling and loading another round and not firing ????????? What ?? You need to be a little more specific on what your rifle is and is not doing to get a proper answer...........
Possible answers---obstructed gas port, gas port bushing too small, op-rod binding, front or rear buffer too thick (if it has them), magazines not seating properly, defective magazines, etc.

Jim........................

Last edited by masterPsmith; 01-24-2010 at 10:35 PM.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:36 PM   #3

I insert mag, load round fire, round extracts, pull trigger and click, but no bang. Next round does not load. Pull back to rack a round, round loads, fire, round extracts, but no new round in the chamber, but the hammer is back. Then out of no where it will fire several times in a row, then same thing happens next round will not load, but hammer is back.

Tried several factory Ruger mags and several rounds for brass NEW ammo not reloads etc. Then I clean the rifle still same thing. I have NOT touched the gas block.

Searched for answers and tried the easy stuff, but I now have a single shot. I hope this helps.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:08 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So you insert the magazine, pull back the action to load a round, fire the round, the spend casing ejects and the action closes with out loading the next round in the magazine? correct?

The truth will set you free, but first it's going to piss you off.

"Time to nut up or shut up." - Tallahassee

"Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid." - The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddn View Post
I'm a man, I see it as my obligation to like guns. And they are just so fun.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hot2handle View Post
So you insert the magazine, pull back the action to load a round, fire the round, the spend casing ejects and the action closes with out loading the next round in the magazine? correct?
Yes Sir, then every once and a while it will fire, load and fire again. WEIRD...

Old 01-25-2010, 01:48 PM   #6

If your mags are seating properly, then you are having a problem with short cycling. Not enough gas pressure, op-rod binding or op-rod spring is too stiff. You bought it used and the previous owner could have made some changes. If you know how to properly remove and re-install the gas block, then check the inside diameter of the gas port bushing. They will vary very little from the factory. It should measure approx. .080". If it is smaller, such as .060, .050, .040 or under, someone has changed it. If that is not it, then check the gas port hole in the barrel to make sure it is not obstructed. Make sure your op-rod is not binding in or on the stock or against the underside of the barrel. If you cannot solve your problem with these suggestions, then take it to your smith.

Jim..............

Old 01-25-2010, 03:18 PM   #7

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It sounds like the gas port is slightly stopped up to me. Try cleaning your complete gas system as Jim said.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 02-11-2010, 11:53 PM   #8

Thanks everyone took it out Saturday after I cleaned the heck out of it. I clogged up the chamber and soaked the barrel with cleaner. Gun works like a champ.

THANK YOU...........................

Old 05-30-2011, 11:34 PM   #9

Im having a problem with my mini 14 tactical rifle also and its brand new! That means its not dirty in the gas block but it does the exact same thing as spraynpray. need help!!!!!!

Old 05-31-2011, 02:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSUpeRMArksman View Post
Im having a problem with my mini 14 tactical rifle also and its brand new! That means its not dirty in the gas block but it does the exact same thing as spraynpray. need help!!!!!!
Sent you a PM...

Jim.

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alvord-Limited-Custom-gunsmithing/637828296334671?ref=bookmarks