Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Milling Slide Down.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 01:59 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Milling Slide Down.

So here's the deal, I haven't AMT .380 backup. I would like to make and register a suppressor for the weapon. The only problem with that is the fix barrel for the weapon is too short to add any threads, is it possible to Mill the slide down .150 of an inch or so to make enough room for threads for the suppressor. Thanks for all replies.

forumrunner_20121216_215909.jpg

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-17-2012, 09:02 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2614 Times on 1522 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Welcome to the Firearmstalk.

I see several problems with this:
You are weakening the recoil spring area in front.
CCW holsters for such a firearm with suppressor would have to be hand made.
You reduce the concealablility of the firearm with a suppressor.
The cost of the suppressor and stamp far exceeds the cost of the original firearm.

I would suggest a Walther PP and purchase a PPK/s slide or replace a PPK/s barrel with a PPs

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

Last edited by danf_fl; 12-17-2012 at 10:08 AM.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:25 PM   #3

What you say is true. I do not however intend to carry this weapon after mods. Just something for targeting.. and yes, I only paid 100$ for the weapon. But to have something just to shoot around with it would be worth the tax stamp.. but with all that aside, you're probably right. Recoil spring could be compromised. Can you picture any way around it?

Old 12-17-2012, 08:26 PM   #4

What about some poxy to extend barrel? It's a long shot.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:33 PM   #5

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Do you have a manufacturer's license? You probably need one. Unless you're doing it, or willing to do it, the Legal way, you'll likely get no more help here than the above suggestion.

Oh, except for this... Don't try to lengthen the barrel with epoxy. I only offer this advice for your own safety. Most likely it'll just blow off like it was never there to begin with, but there's a serious risk of real injury and damage doing something like that.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:35 PM   #6

What is the point of ct state police investigating this mass murderous piece of crap. He is dead nobody knows what he was thinking or what his problem was or will never know. Every tv station is covering this. Even if they did know do u think the parents that had a loss would accept the answer? Or give a crap? This media is doing this to get a gun law established. The media needs to drop this and get back to Obamas unemployment and other issues that he can't or won't fix. Let the families mourn and drop this.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:51 PM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2614 Times on 1522 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino040 View Post
What is the point of ct state police investigating this mass murderous piece of crap. He is dead nobody knows what he was thinking or what his problem was or will never know. Every tv station is covering this. Even if they did know do u think the parents that had a loss would accept the answer? Or give a crap? This media is doing this to get a gun law established. The media needs to drop this and get back to Obamas unemployment and other issues that he can't or won't fix. Let the families mourn and drop this.
Uh Rhino, is this the thread you wanted this posted in?

Steve, The work you want to do on the pictured AMT will give more headaches than the couple of hundred bucks you'll spend (trust my experience on this).

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

Old 12-18-2012, 03:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post

Steve, The work you want to do on the pictured AMT will give more headaches than the couple of hundred bucks you'll spend (trust my experience on this).
Yeah your probably right, I'm looking into a small ruger 9mm, so I will probably just wait for that.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl

Sorry wrong thread