Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Metal to use? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/metal-use-77150/)

GunsmithCat 11-26-2012 07:47 PM

Metal to use?

Hey everyone,
I do a bunch of my own machining and whatnot and make my own gun bits from time to time.

I'd like to hear from the other machinists what types of metals you guys have had success with when making gun parts and what you prefer to work with.

Thanks

hiwall 11-26-2012 09:45 PM

I use mostly mystery metal. Though I do buy hot rolled and cold rolled. I mostly just make sights now so the steel does not need to be hardened.

masterPsmith 11-28-2012 04:21 PM

It all depends on the part that you want to make.. You also need to familiarize yourself with hardening and tempering processes.

Jim...........

GunsmithCat 11-28-2012 06:28 PM

I appreciate the input! I'll be learning heat-treating and metal hardening techniques next semester and I'm looking forward to it!

jwalsh66 12-01-2012 06:07 PM

Depending on what I'm doing I like to use a high grade stainless like 303 or 316. I have easy access to this though because I am a machinist by trade and we have heat treating capabilities at work. Then I brush or polish depending on the situation. I like high grade stainless because of its extreme resistance to rust. It can be a b**** to work with sometimes though

primer1 12-02-2012 04:18 PM

Stainless is "sticky" when machining. But I love stainless!

jwalsh66 12-02-2012 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by primer1 (Post 1035760)
Stainless is "sticky" when machining. But I love stainless!

I got to say after working with stainless for awhile you get used to the issues that come along with it. I also love aluminum but it is gummy also I hate how much of a pain in the a$$ it can be. We used to have problems with it building up between the flutes on the endmills But I love how easy it is to work with after the machining process. I was thinking about making some accessories for ar out of aluminum or composite to keep it light. We have been working with some incanel. Spell? And hasteloy. That stuff is a real pain you burn up tooling so fast. But its light and its good enough for aero space its good enough for me lol

GunsmithCat 12-08-2012 10:27 PM

Haha good times! Again, thanks everyone for the input! I do love working with aluminium as it is one of the "butters" of metals.

I have yet to work with stainless. from what I've heard the main thing to watch out for is the work-hardening?

jwalsh66 12-08-2012 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GunsmithCat (Post 1044621)
Haha good times! Again, thanks everyone for the input! I do love working with aluminium as it is one of the "butters" of metals.

I have yet to work with stainless. from what I've heard the main thing to watch out for is the work-hardening?

Yeah work hardening is pain. What kind of machine are you working on?

primer1 12-09-2012 03:22 AM

Work hardening can happen with any carbon steel or tool steel. Just don't let it get too hot. Stainless is "sticky", it has a habit of sticking to drills, endmills, etc.