Mauser auctions - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Mauser auctions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 04:54 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6573 Times on 3638 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
I pay bout 300 for mine straight from Frankfurt. That's after a BIG shop discount though aaron

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did
That's not too bad. Are the ones from Frankfurt new recievers, or are they old ones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
people source their Mauser actions from many sources. some scavenge old military rifles or Bubbafied backyard gunsmithed sporters. some source them new from several suppliers, but these are usually the most expensive sources to buy one from.

the nice thing if you plan on rebarreling, is the range of options in caliber selection. myself, if going the route of rebarreling an action and building a custom rifle from the ground up, i would go with a less common caliber than what was available commercially. that's just my thoughts.
I'll keep my eyes open for a bubbafied one, or I may just get either the 1903 receiver, or the k96k barreled action.

For now, I'm wanting one that I can easily get ammo for around here. I think I'll probably go with .223. I love that round.
Later on down the road though, I will probably build one for uncommon ammo. I have also always wanted to make my own, one of a kind, wildcat, so I may do that instead.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:27 AM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Texaswoody you would not want a rifle made on a 96 Mauser. The finest Mauser ever for making a custom rifle is the Mauser Mdl. of 1909 7.65 X 54 Argentine. These were the Cadillacs of DWM bolt action rifles.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:37 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangokid View Post
Texaswoody you would not want a rifle made on a 96 Mauser. The finest Mauser ever for making a custom rifle is the Mauser Mdl. of 1909 7.65 X 54 Argentine. These were the Cadillacs of DWM bolt action rifles.
If I got one in 7.65 Argentine, I would probably leave it in that caliber. My grandpa used to have one that he reloaded for, and he said you basically could drive tacks with it.

I found one that would suit my needs!!!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=284626006

It is not in 7.65 though, it is in something called 7.61 Sharps and Hart

If I got it, I would probably either turn it into a .223, or turn it back into a 7.65. I would also replace the stock with something a little more fancy.

I wish I had the money Oh well, there will be other chances to get one.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:01 AM   #24

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Well lucky you The Sharp & Harts were very early long range hunting rifles. This would have been a very good custom rifle. You have a treasure for sure. I would leave it in the Sharp & Hart. The bolt face has been milled out for the S & H head and rim. This means the entire bolt sleeve would have to be relpaced. Before messing this up start looking at what you have. So far as coverting any long action to a .223 Remington is a very bad idea. The long travel and long magazine and large bolt diameter and extractors make it about impossible for such a conversion. The very fact the long heavy 06 length action would make a very big ugly .223. You can go for a big .22 in a 98. That would be like a 22-250, .220 Swift or a 25-06 etc.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:15 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangokid View Post
Well lucky you The Sharp & Harts were very early long range hunting rifles. This would have been a very good custom rifle. You have a treasure for sure. I would leave it in the Sharp & Hart. The bolt face has been milled out for the S & H head and rim. This means the entire bolt sleeve would have to be relpaced. Before messing this up start looking at what you have. So far as coverting any long action to a .223 Remington is a very bad idea. The long travel and long magazine and large bolt diameter and extractors make it about impossible for such a conversion. The very fact the long heavy 06 length action would make a very big ugly .223. You can go for a big .22 in a 98. That would be like a 22-250, .220 Swift or a 25-06 etc.
I didn't buy it. I'm broke.

Thanks for the info on the actions though.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:55 AM   #26

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker

That's not too bad. Are the ones from Frankfurt new recievers, or are they old ones?

I'll keep my eyes open for a bubbafied one, or I may just get either the 1903 receiver, or the k96k barreled action.

For now, I'm wanting one that I can easily get ammo for around here. I think I'll probably go with .223. I love that round.
Later on down the road though, I will probably build one for uncommon ammo. I have also always wanted to make my own, one of a kind, wildcat, so I may do that instead.
Brand new. Straight off the line actually

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did