Mauser 98 broken safety - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Mauser 98 broken safety

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2010, 02:36 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 357 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryel View Post
.... better chamber response with less cartridge movement.

do you have any opinions on that claim?
thanks
Disclaimer:
I am not a professional gunsmith nor do I play one on TV.

In my amateur opinion, that would be an issue with the chamber being concentric with the bore and head spacing rather than the mainspring and firing pin. Do I think a heavier mainspring and lighter firing pin will decrease lock time? Yes I do. In fact, I run a lightweight hammer and titanium firing pin in my match AR15. It definitely helps to improve my off-hand scores.

I don't believe the majority of people will notice any benefit in a hunting rifle however. Well..... maybe if you are shooting hunter class bench rest competition perhaps. Other than that, it's probably just a waste of money for most folks. Again -- just my personal opinion which is worth absolutely nothing.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:38 PM   #12

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm inclined to agree with Highpower-you're not going to tell the difference on locktime. Decreased locktime is the only benefit it would offer and not enough so that you would notice.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 10-04-2010, 08:25 PM   #13

Thanks
one more question: when I attempt to screw the firing pin assembly, after three revolutions into the bolt body it feels like I am hitting solid steel and it will not go past this point. Looking at the gap makes me believe it still has a few more threads to go. Yep, three turns in and 3 threads to go. It is cocked and held up by the safety. Pushing in the retaining pin doesn't seem to have any effect.

Apparently it has something to do with the new safety....when the penny is holding it everything works fine. and what is happening inside that collar to stop the thing from screwing in?
OK, now i am confused. with my new $52 safety I can be on safe or ready to fire but I cannot dis-assemble or re-assemble.
OK...the new safety only has one side ground off instead of both which leaves a flat shank. when I open the bolt the safety rotates off which tells me something inside the collar is moving.

Last edited by Ryel; 10-04-2010 at 10:11 PM.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:19 PM   #14

Liked 357 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryel View Post
OK, now i am confused. with my new $52 safety I be on safe or ready to fire but I cannot dis-assemble or re-assemble.
OK...the new safety only has one side ground off instead of both which leaves a flat shank. when I open the bolt the safety rotates off which tells me something inside the collar is moving.
Yes, the safety interacts with the cocking/bolt sleeves and will need to be hand fit in order to work properly in your bolt. That is something best handled by a professional gunsmith like stalkingbear. And for the record, I don't discuss the use of Dremel tools on these forums.

Last edited by Highpower; 10-05-2010 at 03:03 PM.