Marlin X7 or Stevens 200
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Marlin X7 or Stevens 200

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2010, 02:06 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Marlin X7 or Stevens 200

It’s getting close to Spring Rifle Project time again; questions for all you “barreltwisters” out there:
Parameters: Long action/heavy barrel; caliber 30/06.
1. Has anyone used the new Marlin X7 receiver?
2. Stevens 200; will it take aftermarket triggers designed for the Savage 110 series?

Would be interested to hear from anyone who has had experience with the Marlin and or Stevens.

"A man with rust on his gun, is man without honor"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-09-2010, 02:53 AM   #2

So far, I have determined the X7 to be a "very" close design copy of the Savage 10/110 series, to the extent that the barrel attaches the same way and the thread pitch and shank diameter are the same possibly allowing the use of "drop in" barrels designed for the Savage to work with the X7.

The Stevens 200 is a straight up Savage without the Accu-Trigger. Anything made for the Savage will work on the Stevens (Savage subsidiary). The only thing you need to pay attention to is the action screw spacing, as there have been three (I think) changes in the past few years. That holds true for both the Savage and Stevens lines. Also, the magazine configuration, center feed or staggered feed, needs to be taken into account.

Both of the above only matter when it comes to choosing stocks. Barrels and bolt heads will swap as normal as long as the new barrel is the same shank diameter as the old one.

If your looking to tweak on a rifle and will be changing things out here and there, the Stevens 200 is pretty hard to beat considering it's price tag is generally under three bills. Sharpshooter Supply has both Douglass and Brux barrels that they thread and chamber in a decent list of calibers. Just ordered a heavy Brux barrel in .222 from them.

Check out savageshooters.com

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Last edited by jeepcreep927; 03-09-2010 at 02:59 AM.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:40 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Marlin X7 or Stevens 200

Jeepcreep927,

Hey thanks for the input. I was @ the shot show last year 09 in Orlando, like the Marlin, very smooth. But I haven't real laid my hands on one yet. Noticed the simularity; my most current Bolt Action Rifle book has no mention of the Marlin, book came out before the Marlin. Thought the Stevens was the "Old Savage". Wanted to get all the ducks in a row before I order for the project. Thinking also on building a 280 Rem Ackely Improved; very impressive cartridge. Thanks again.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:07 AM   #4

The Stevens is the "old" Savage, like you said.

What brought you to the .280 AI? If you haven't already, check out Mike Bellm's site. He has some good info on AI cartridges and worked with Ackley for a while. I have been toying with a 6.5x55 BJAI just because I think it's neat that a little tweaking and a hundred year old cartridge will out run the newest fanciest wonder long range ones (6.5x284 has NOTHING on the 6.5x55 BJAI, and not a whole lot on a hot loaded straight 6.5x55 Swede, just a reinvention of the wheel).

Good luck with your project.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 03-11-2010, 02:46 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I will check that site out. I have a couple of Ackelys improved cartridges, 7X57 Imp, and a 257 Roberts Imp; both tac drivers! The 280 has always interested me, high velocitys, powder to performance is good etc. I must agree with you 100% on the old Sweed, and when it's improved it leaves nothing behind. Even in its orginal form it is a wonderful cartridge. Everyone is on the 6.5/284 kick, I love the ones who build on a short action, and then have to seat the bullet way back into the case, reduceing the powder; I also have a 6.5/06 (not the Improved) and it kicks the 6.5/284 everyday of the week and twice on Sunday, and when it is loaded with the heavier bullets it leaves the "new boy" sitting back and wondering what just happened. Why do I want it; well suppose one can never have too many cigars, humidors, good dogs, and kick assing rifles!

Old 03-11-2010, 04:00 PM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If I was just buying the rifle and slicking it up, I'd go for the Marlin (I did). However if it's going to be a project rifle that you're going to build a custom from-go with the Stevens. All the aftermarket parts for Savage will fit the Stevens.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!