Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Marlin Mod. 60 lock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2009, 06:06 PM   #1
KAG
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Marlin Mod. 60 lock

I went to shoot yesterday and when I got to the range I hit the button to release the bolt and then pulled it back to load a round, but after I pulled it back all the way it jammed and has not moved.

Its unloaded and I pulled the stock of to see if there was anything obvious but nothing, and there is no obvious sign of blovkage in the action.
Any ideas?

KH

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-21-2009, 12:02 AM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Need more information. You say you pushed a button to "release the bolt" ?...was the gun stored cocked for a long time ? On the Mod. 60, if I remember correctly, the charging handle itself is pulled out to release the bolt and pushed in to lock it in the cocked position. Does your charging handle move freely in and out? If it's jammed in the cocked position try pulling the bolt back further, while pulling the charging handle out simultaneously. Sounds like it is in dire need of disassembly, cleaning, and lubrication.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 09-21-2009 at 12:28 AM.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:32 PM   #3
KAG

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

It may not be called a bolt, but that is what it is. After the last round the bolt will catch open in the half way open position, after that you take it home, clean it, etc... When you take it out the next time you load up the tube, and then in front of the trigger guard is a button, push that, and the "bolt" slides foward to the closed position. Now you pull back on the bolt handle until it stops then let it go and it loads a round. Ready to Shoot.

Well instead of loading a round when I let go it went foward about a 1/4 inch and stopped. The gun was cleaned properly after the last use and has plettly of oil.

The bolt will go back ward but not any farther foward.

Hopes this helps. I can not get any more descriptive. I have owed the gun for at least 12 years but dont know how old it really is. I did take it off the stack and when I did that I sprayed it with ethanold based aerosol cleaner and no change. I oiled it back up, put the stock back on, and is back in the closet.

KH

Old 09-21-2009, 11:43 PM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I have the Mod. 70P(Papoose) which is basically a magazine-fed Mod. 60 action. I have no lever in front of my trigger guard for a bolt release. I simply push and pull the charging handle to lock/unlock the bolt. Also when I fire the last round, the bolt is locked in the rearmost position, not half-way. I suspect yours is locked half way because it's jamming on the tube feed mechanism. This feed mechanism should disconnect from under the receiver when the action is out of the stock. In either case something is preventing your bolt from travelling fully forward. Did a bullet accidentally go in backwards and jam the feed mechanism? You probably need to disassemble the bolt from the receiver and take a look at whats happening, since it's impossible to diagnose it without seeing it.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:11 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8378 Times on 3626 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Link to manual: http://www.marlinfirearms.com/pdfs/manuals/MFC_Self_Load_RF_Tube.pdf

There have been several model changes in the Markin Mdl 60 over the years, including the "auto hold open on last shot" feature, which DOES have a separate release button from the bolt handle. Earlier rifles did not have that feature.

Assuming that the bolt and chamber area is clean (the 60 notorious for getting dirty- like Winchester 190s) then it is likely you have a part out of place or broken. If you are comfortable detail stripping a 60, take the action down, and see what is preventing bolt form moving forward. I asssure you, you would not be the first person to bring a gunsmith a Mdl 60 in a bag, with a request to "put it back together". They can be tricky.

Good luck- and if you DO find the problem, please post solution here for benefit of the next guy.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:37 AM   #6
KAG

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

HAHA!

Yea I will try the shade tree method here in a few days, I just have too much work until then.

I will def post the solution. This is so wierd, I cleaned it really well after I used it last and even cycled it a few times after lubrication, and it didnt sit for more than 2 weeks!

KH

Old 09-22-2009, 01:27 AM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

FYI, you should never let any gun sit for long periods with the bolt locked open. This compresses the firing pin spring and eventually it will weaken it. I mistakenly strored an old Mossberg for several years with the bolt locked back and this year I ended up having to replace the spring.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:18 PM   #8
KAG

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

SO you are saying that I should be releasing the bolt to the closed position after the last round? We do have different models and I would think this problem would have come up sooner if it was not ok for it to be locked in the post "last round" position.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:35 PM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAG View Post
SO you are saying that I should be releasing the bolt to the closed position after the last round? We do have different models and I would think this problem would have come up sooner if it was not ok for it to be locked in the post "last round" position.
I'm not saying that leaving the bolt cocked is the cause of your problem - it could be, but it's never a good thing to leave a spring compressed, be it in a magazine or a bolt.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:36 AM   #10

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It sounds like a mechanical problem to me. Take the trigger group out, check to see that the auto bolt hold open is free to move, then reassemble. I would know more if it was in front of me. Neil

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!