Marlin 917V feed jam

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Marlin 917V feed jam

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2011, 04:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Marlin 917V feed jam

Trying to find a solution to the 917V jamming issue. Cleaning the gun was a small help, but the issue started when the owner tightenned the front trigger guard screw. Any info would be appreciated

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-16-2011, 09:00 PM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It sounds like a mag issue to me. Perhaps the mag guide sticking down got bent somehow when he torqued the action screw?

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 04-16-2011, 09:58 PM   #3

Liked 709 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 725

They come w/ 3 mags. Have you tried another?? Never had an issue w/ mine.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:34 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Trying to find a solution to the 917V jamming issue. Cleaning the gun was a small help, but the issue started when the owner tightened the front trigger guard screw. Any info would be appreciated
whitepaw, there's good chance you've either tweaked the action and/or bent the magazine guide a little. The action on the 917V and similar rifles can bind if the front and/or rear action screws are over tightened, this can cause some feeding issues. I would loosen both action screws and see how it feeds the rounds.

The magazine guide gets bent sometimes just from handling the rifle if you're not paying attention to where you're holding it. Some pressure on the magazine, or on the guide itself if the stock has been removed, can tweak the guide to where the rifle either doesn't strip a round from the mag or the rounds hit the breach face when they do get stripped.

If yours is pushing the rounds into the breach face, where it comes in contact will determine which way to bend your magazine guide. If the round is hitting above the chamber the guide needs to be bent towards the rear, it they're hitting below the chamber it needs to be pushed forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
They come w/ 3 mags. Have you tried another?? Never had an issue w/ mine.
Never heard of one bought new with three mags, used maybe, but not a new one. Would have saved me a bit of cash if they had. The one I bought in 2006 only had one 7-round. The newer Marlin rifles in 17HMR and 22-Mag are shipping with one 7-round and one 4-round now, but when I bought mine the standard practice was just the one 7-round.