Marlin 39 shallenge
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Marlin 39 shallenge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 11:47 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default Marlin 39 shallenge

I have owned a Model 39 .22 lever gun (it looks ancient but in pretty nice shape) for several years and just today I took the magazine off to clean it --it has always been kinda gritty since I've owned it. One problem: the plug at the tip of the magazine has a small "ball" that is to be depressed to extend the outer tube of the magazine when loading ammo into the mag. The ball is stuck and will not move under any circumstances. It appears it is spring loaded, meant to press it in order to pull out the magazine tube. The ball is stuck fast as if welded in place--won't move at all. I see a small pin secures the ball and presumably the spring, I was able to drive out the tiny pin but in trying to remove or disassemble it, I am unable to get ANYTHING to move. The ball is still stuck in place. Any suggestions how to free up this ball or disassemble it? I imagine there is a problem with the spring--wish I could get it apart!
Any suggestions anyone may have would be welcome.

Last edited by biggyfries; 05-06-2013 at 09:45 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-06-2013, 09:48 PM   #2

Here's a follow-up to my own 'challenge'.
I went to work on it this AM, I tried everything I could think of, solvent, heat, compressed air--nothing seemed to dislodge the ball until I made a wire handle which was used to smack it against my anvil-- it then moved a little. after several smacks it came out enough to use needle nose pliers on it--and out she came. It was just solid with grime, dirt, packed solid with shmutz. Once it was apart it was then and easy job to clean everything and reassemble. I was even able to re-use the old spring once it was clean. Care must be taken to re-install a good pin, you will want to clean this part every few years or as necessary. I put in a pin that will be easy to remove next time.
It seems these parts are designed in such a way that they get very dirty very easily which lead to my original problem. I recommend against adding lubricant (oil) to the magazine even if it feels a little gritty. The lube will attract dirt and the ball will be plugged with grime again even sooner. Keep it dry and make it easy to take apart and service it and it should be working good again for a long time.

Last edited by biggyfries; 05-06-2013 at 09:51 PM.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:27 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8952 Times on 3877 Posts
Likes Given: 1401

Biggy- the design of the original magazine tube for the Marlin 39 was subject to crud making it stick, and needlessly complicated. Wisner's sells the kit to convert the Model 39 Mag tube over to the 39A mag tube- screws up collector's value a great deal- and the values on the original Model 39s are WELL North of $1000.

BTW, there is a product called KROIL. Penetrating oil on steroids. Spritz a bit on anything stuck, wait a bit.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

biggyfries Likes This 
Old 05-07-2013, 01:51 PM   #4

Good comments C3--I am a semi-knowlegable amateur and am learning as I go--I am glad to get the benefit of knowlege from a more experienced guy--I'm sure I'm not the first guy to see this problem, although there are getting to be fewer and fewer guys who understand the old guns.
Anyway I was relieved when that ball finally did move. Thanks for the Kroil tip!