Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Marlin 336 misfires

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2011, 02:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Marlin 336 misfires

I've been trying to solve this problem for awhile now.

It's a 1968 30/30 that looks to be in excellent condition. The primer is barely touched when it misfires. I tried some of these loads in a W94 and they went off.

A new factory main spring was put in. I cleaned the inside of the bolt by soaking in Hoppe #9, Than used a drill bit, bristle brush, and cloth till it came out clean. The firing pin and rear pin were polished. I swapped out an old 336 lever and tried to fire two duds. One went off the first time and the second took two hits before going off. I tried to smooth up any burrs that might impead the rear pin from going forward. I took the little spring on top of the rear pin completely out. The headspace must be ok. I put some dead primers part way in 3 cases, closed the bolt, and measured.

The firing pin protrudes plenty far enough. It does hang up a little bit when pushing it forward.

I figure it is the rear pin, firing pin or both. I don't want to buy parts if it doesn't help.

This has been posted on Marlin owners, and leverguns. Might as well try this forum.

I still get 2-4 misfires 8 or 10 good ones than misfires.

Does anyone have any suggestions. Thanks.

Last edited by ba_50; 02-12-2011 at 02:50 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-12-2011, 05:18 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It sounds like the the firing pin channel needs to be cleaned out better or it needs a new firing pin to me. The firing pin shouldn't hang up at all. what about the rebound spring? If I remember correctly (it's been several years since I worked on a 336) it has a rebound spring that can get messed up and impede the travel. Maybe I'm thinking of something else. I don't have a 336 here to look at.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!