Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   marlin 336 can I take the mag tub off and use a clip instead (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/marlin-336-can-i-take-mag-tub-off-use-clip-instead-86202/)

94hunter88 03-10-2013 08:52 AM

marlin 336 can I take the mag tub off and use a clip instead

I was wandering if some how I could be able to have a clip instead of a mag tub. if you have answers on how to convert it if its possible let me know.

danf_fl 03-10-2013 11:50 AM

Welcome to the forum. When you get a chance the net time you login, stop by our "Introductions" area.

You do know that "clips" are used to feed magazines. If you are using the word "clip" in place of "magazine", there are people here who pick up right away that you are not too familiar with firearms parts.

Could you replace the tube (your spell checker used the word "tub") and have a magazine feed?
Yes, but, there is a lot of work and machine time involved. And parts modifications, too.

Would there be any advantage to coverting a tube feed to a magazine feed?
The only advantage is would provide is for quick loading.

It would be cheaper to purchase a good AR platform rifle.

JTJ 03-10-2013 01:12 PM

Buy a Browning BLR if you want a removable magazine lever action.

c3shooter 03-10-2013 01:25 PM

It can be done. Would help if you were a tool and die maker with a complete machine shop, or had enough money that you use a wheelbarrow for a wallet.

There is no simple, cheap and easy way to do this. You DID notice a magazine inserted from the bottom would have to pass through where the lever is located?:confused:

94hunter88 03-10-2013 01:40 PM

Thanks for correcting me but I know the difference just didnt mean to put "clip" for example my sks you feed the bullets with a 10 round clip and the sks also has a magizine I have that holds 30 rounds

SSGN_Doc 03-10-2013 03:40 PM

No real practical way. As others mentioned there is the Browning BLR if you want a lever action that is fed from a box magazine.

Much like a pump shotgun, if you are wanting to use such a firearm for "tactical" use, you need to learn how to compensate for the disadvantage of having a somewhat slow to reload platform, and learn how to top up efficiently, and port load rounds through the ejection port efficiently once you run the mag dry.

The only other advantage I see in the box mag for a lever gun is that it opens up the use of pointed projectiles for better ballistic coefficients to increase range.

Trez 03-13-2013 03:22 PM

... Or a Winchester 1895.... :D

Chase127 03-17-2013 02:22 AM

No you really can't not and have it function properly.however Browning does sell lever action rifles that use an integral box mag so...sell your marlin and buy a browning

nitestalker 03-17-2013 03:13 AM

Really, don't worry about it anyone who is familiar with firearms knows what you mean by clip. It is just some new PC gun thing. I would be more concerned about some one who can not spot a worn sear.:eek: