Making a firing pin - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Making a firing pin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2008, 01:58 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
I had a couple of Stevens single shots way back when. I think the firing pins were made out of eight penny nails. Seriously.
I'm pretty sure that's what my grandfather used....

9x18=Makarov

Old 01-05-2009, 06:06 AM   #12

If I can keep our 'Moderators' from banning me or slowing my connection down (SC) so badly I can't respond,
I'll try and get an answer out.
----------------------------

Comparator is a 'Pear' shaped set of calipers that measure the OUTSIDE of the pin you are trying to duplicate, and transfer that measurement over to the pin you are MAKING.

They are usually stamped out of heavy sheet metal, have a rivet hinge at the top, and have a screw for opening and closing them.
I'm sure you have seen them, just didn't know what they were called....

The REASON you use a comparator is so you don't wear down the measuring faces on your caliper or micrometer...

If you have the OLD firing pin, you actually don't need to know the diameter of it at any given point,
You just need to transfer that dimension over to the new pin as you grind/file/machine it.

--------------------------------

The reason you don't use nails, coat hangers, ect. is because you can't count on the metal to harden, soften, not to crack, or anything else.

A grade 8 bolt, if it's a really good quality bolt, is a good start, but nails are made of crap metal and they are just AWFUL for hardening without cracking or crystallizing.

Common 'Tool Steel' is DIRT CHEAP, easy to work, Hardens well, and usually comes with heat/quench instructions so you know what you are working with...

Old 01-05-2009, 06:55 AM   #13

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for all the info AR, but I think I'll just take it to a smith. Easier, cheaper, and faster than I could do it....

9x18=Makarov

Old 01-05-2009, 09:13 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR Hammer View Post
If I can keep our 'Moderators' from banning me or slowing my connection down (SC) so badly I can't respond,
I'll try and get an answer out.
----------------------------
Why would any of us do that when I've already agreed with you twice in this thread. Also, FYI, this forum isn't set up with the SC option.

If I were to try to machine a firing pin, I'd probably use an old punch or chisel, then quench and temper it.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.