Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > magazine feed issue for .22 lr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2008, 09:45 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default magazine feed issue for .22 lr

i seem to be having a feed issue with my semi auto savage 64 .22lr.

when i insert a clip with ammo (amount does not seem to matter) and chamber a cartridge, i experience this issue:

[URL=http://g.imageshack.us/img82/1001055ip2.jpg/1/][IMG]

my rifle/magazine are relatively new, ive put about 500 rounds through it. I ve had some jams, which were feeding-from-the-magazine related. Ive taken a close look at the magazine itself and I think the problem may from some damage to the left and right 'lips' that secure the cartridge so the spring's tension does not push it out of the magazine without assistance from the action. I hope im explaining this correctly.

here are some photos:

[URL=http://g.imageshack.us/img82/1001052il7.jpg/1/][IMG]

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-11-2008, 12:39 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7563 Times on 3294 Posts
Likes Given: 1122

Not uncommon for the relatively thin sheet metal of 22 mag lips to get deformed- and it does not take much. You might try "adjusting" them using thumb pressure on a smooth surface, such as a wooden dowel. Gently. Maybe just a little more. Opps, too much, back just a smidge.

Old 10-11-2008, 02:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Not uncommon for the relatively thin sheet metal of 22 mag lips to get deformed- and it does not take much. You might try "adjusting" them using thumb pressure on a smooth surface, such as a wooden dowel. Gently. Maybe just a little more. Opps, too much, back just a smidge.
you mean by pressing the lips towards each other without tools?

Old 10-11-2008, 10:48 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7563 Times on 3294 Posts
Likes Given: 1122

Yup. If I used a tool at all, it would be a bit of wood (sometimes that sheet metal can be hard on the fingers.) NOT as a stiking implement, but to press with (gently) In general, unless this is something you do a LOT, if you grab the mag with a pair of pliers, or stick it in a vice, etc, you are gonna overdo it. And then you are posting in the want ad section, looking for a replacement mag. Seriously, gently does it. When the lips get a bit deformed, it is usually very slight, and you just want it back the way it was.

Old 10-11-2008, 01:20 PM   #5

and with the wooden dowel:

would i be sliding that dowel in between the lips, then turning it over onto its side onto a smooth surface then pressing down on the lip gently?

im assuming that by using a dowel, youre making sure the lips keep its conformity as the lip will 'wrap' around the dowel. Is this correct?

come to think of it, i think this may have been an issue from the start, as i experienced feeding jams all in part to what i thought was the mag spring needing to be worn it a bit. ill definately need to pick some new mags up.