Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Machining

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2012, 06:56 AM   #11
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19473 Times on 11062 Posts
Likes Given: 49082

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1158 View Post
Yeah, you totally got me on that. But with all the other parts they could make wouldn't they make there money back in due time? With all the other gun parts they could make they could almost start there own line of gun accessories.
very true, yes quite possible if able to get the money or have available credit to do it. lot of the manufactores who make gun parts started out this way and some more will probably get into this in the future as well. many years ago, i worked for a small gun parts maker in Houston Texas that had a few CNC lathes that made screw-in choke tubes for shotguns. that company now is a very large maker of many types gun parts and accessories for guns for quite a few of the major makers and have their own line of gun parts. check out the history and product line of Briley Manufacturing.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:02 AM   #12

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

I would love to get into that. If I had the cash and the space I would be all over that.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:41 AM   #13

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

very true, yes quite possible if able to get the money or have available credit to do it. lot of the manufactores who make gun parts started out this way and some more will probably get into this in the future as well. many years ago, i worked for a small gun parts maker in Houston Texas that had a few CNC lathes that made screw-in choke tubes for shotguns. that company now is a very large maker of many types gun parts and accessories for guns for quite a few of the major makers and have their own line of gun parts. check out the history and product line of Briley Manufacturing.
I have an original set of briley chokes for 870 wing master as to why we use reamers instead of cnc most reasons have been said but also there is the fact of most not having the experience/training to use the cnc properly. Reamers are easy to use and very easy to master

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 01-25-2012, 08:01 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
I have an original set of briley chokes for 870 wing master as to why we use reamers instead of cnc most reasons have been said but also there is the fact of most not having the experience/training to use the cnc properly. Reamers are easy to use and very easy to master

this is so true! i can use a reamer, but wouldn't know the first thing about setting up a program to bore a chamber on a CNC lathe. the hardest thing about reamers is knowing how to read measurements.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:03 AM   #15

Quote:

this is so true! i can use a reamer, but wouldn't know the first thing about setting up a program to bore a chamber on a CNC lathe. the hardest thing about reamers is knowing how to read measurements.
Yep.....how much is my briley chokes worth jonas? They arent for sale mind you. They are from the late 80s......i think

Old 01-25-2012, 08:20 AM   #16

Quote:
Yep.....how much is my briley chokes worth jonas? They arent for sale mind you. They are from the late 80s......i think

i couldn't even guess, jared. i know nothing about the value of older chokes. but even though they are older ones, they will outlast you and your grandchildren!

Old 01-25-2012, 08:22 AM   #17

Quote:

i couldn't even guess, jared. i know nothing about the value of older chokes. but even though they are older ones, they will outlast you and your grandchildren!
Oh i know they will....if we can stomp the liberal commies out. I have the complete 4 choke set

Old 01-25-2012, 08:42 AM   #18

Quote:
Oh i know they will....if we can stomp the liberal commies out. I have the complete 4 choke set

from the late 80's, four tube set! wow, some of the earlier ones.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:01 PM   #19

Quote:

from the late 80's, four tube set! wow, some of the earlier ones.
Ya

Old 01-25-2012, 12:01 PM   #20

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

With regard to those advocating the use of CNC machines for barrel work, something to keep in mind is that when you chuck a barrel into a three jaw chuck, you are assuming that the bore is concentric to the OD of the barrel. This is rarely the case with factory barrels. The best that I have seven was on a savage barrel. Concentric to within about .003 if I recall correctly. The worst that I have seen was in excess of .015 out of concentricity.

IMHO, the correct way to chamber a rifle is to use a lathe that has a short enough headstock that the barrel can be indicated to center on both ends. Make a "spider" for the rear of the spindle and use a four jaw chuck to hold the barrel. Indicate inside the bore on both ends until it is centered to within .0005. Now you KNOW that the chamber will be aligned with the bore, not just the OD of the barrel. While slight misalignment may not cause a gun to shoot poorly, it will never make it shoot better.

I use an old Southbend 10" toolroom lathe for all my barrel work. The headstock is short enough that typical rifle barrels are easily indicated on both ends. For shorter barrels, I made a very thin four jaw chuck to be able to accomplish the same. With this setup, I can perfectly align barrels as short as 16"

Last edited by CubDriver451; 01-25-2012 at 12:05 PM.