M&P 15 Front gas block removal

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > M&P 15 Front gas block removal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2010, 07:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default M&P 15 Front gas block removal

I have a Smith and Wesson M&P 15 that has a low profile front gas block. I need to remove it for a free float front forearm. the pins will not budge and yes i am a applytng pressure from the correct side. odd enough theer was a small allen bolt on th e bottom side.. so i removed it but still no change, the pin will not budge. Do i need to apply a little heat? I am miffed. any hep would be very appreciated..

Ryan

dsc05083.jpg   dsc05081.jpg   dsc05080.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-09-2010, 10:17 PM   #2

Liked 357 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Support the barrel / gas block in a sturdy bench vice with padded jaws -or- use a bench block for support.

Use a starter punch to break the taper pin loose (right to left) and don't be gentle with the hammer.

Finish driving the pin out with a standard pin punch.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:48 PM   #3

Default thanks that did it

more swing to the hammer and a 1/8 socket extension did the trick. my punches were not hard enough nad were bending... thnaks for the help.

Ryan

Old 10-11-2010, 02:43 AM   #4

Liked 357 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 292

That's why it is best to use a starter punch initially to break the "seal" on tight pins first. The shorter, tapered tip is less prone to bending and can withstand heavier blows to get things moving. After that the pin will be much easier to drift out with the thinner, longer pin punch.

Glad you got it worked out. And welcome to the forums.