Luger - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Luger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2010, 04:42 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
It's a timing issue, or the extractor. If the extractor has the proper holding pressure and the magazine is eliminated as the problem, it must be timing.

Re-spring the gun to factory specs and go from there.
Thanks for the tip, the pistol is in real good shape internally, he has tried a different magazine with the same result, I tend to lean that the slide is going back far enough to let the ejector kick the spent round from the extractor and strip the new round from the magazine but not going back with enough force or far enough to kick the spent round out of the way of the incoming round.
I know that it has been stated in this thread that it is so and I have always thought so myself that the 30 cal and 9mm magazines are the same, but is it definitely so? I know that they will interchange in the pistol but are they the same internally in the mag?
What springs do you suggest changing.
I went to Numrich this morning and looks like they do not offer any Luger parts other than grips.
Thanks
sfvet

Old 03-10-2010, 01:50 AM   #12

Default luger

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterPsmith View Post
One of the main problems with the Luger pistols is the ammo. Modern factory 9mm ammo is not loaded to the higher pressures that the Luger requires for proper functioning. The original 9mm Parabelum ammo in Germany was loaded to higher pressures for use in the sub-machine guns and Luger pistols. Have a gunsmith that knows Lugers look at it to make sure it is operating properly. If it is ok, then either try +P ammo or load your own ammo. You will have to work your loads up until it will function reliably. I had the same problems with my Lugers with factory ammo in years past, until I loaded ammo that would function the toggle action properly........Hope this helps.....

Jim................
Not my gun so I can't reload for it. I do think also that the ammo is the problem. I am thinking of taking a coil or two off the recoil spring and see if that would help. Where would be a good place to get a replacement spring? Is the any difference between a 9 MM and a 30 cal spring?

sfvet

Old 03-10-2010, 09:28 AM   #13

Spent cartride case isn't ejecting correctly? Sounds like a unserviceable ejector. Inspect it for wear on the front lip and cracks on the body.. is the ejector contacting the cartridge case correctly? If not that.. limp wristing the pistol maybe? Hold it tighter, the luger requires a fair bit of recoil to work the toggle and complete the cycle. I'll grab the luger at work and look for you.

"Sir we are surrounded."
"Good! We can attack in any direction."

Old 03-10-2010, 06:31 PM   #14

Default Luger mainspring

I have worked for 2 hours and cannot seem to get the mainspring back in. Do any of you have any idea on how this is done? Also someone mentioned to me that a 1916 Erfurt was not made in 30 Cal Luger do any of you know about this. None of the books that I have mention this.

sfnamvet