Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Luger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2010, 04:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Luger

A friend of mine bought a 1916 Erfurt Luger in 30 Cal Luger made in 1916, looks pretty good however it stove pipes every round that is fired. He bought another magazine and that does not help. He is firing factory ammo. I have taken it completely apart and cleaned it and can find nothing out of the ordinary. If you cycle by hand, it works perfectly. Any ideas where I might look next for the problem.

Thanks

sfvet

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-04-2010, 05:11 PM   #2

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

By stovepiping I assume the spent casings are the 1s that's stovepiping? Look at the ejector real close.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 03-04-2010, 06:17 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
By stovepiping I assume the spent casings are the 1s that's stovepiping? Look at the ejector real close.

+1 that would be my call..

NRA Life Member

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Poloticians ignore the others"

Old 03-04-2010, 06:42 PM   #4

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

It could also be the extractor letting the case go before it ejects. It's hard to say on a Luger without seeing it 1sthand.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 03-05-2010, 12:03 AM   #5

Default Luger

Thanks for the tips, I looked at the ejector and not having another one to compare it with and not having worked on many Lugers, I don't know what I should be looking for, if the ejector is the problem, why would it worked perfectly by hand? The fired case stovepipes against the front of the barrel and the unfired round is all cockeyed under it.

Thanks again

sfguy

Old 03-05-2010, 02:00 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4462 Times on 2355 Posts
Likes Given: 255

im not conversant with lugers but it does sound like a weak ejector or the ejector is no longer servicable or very worn. i would suggest taking it to a competent gunsmith they might be able to tell if something is amiss. but that is the nature of really old weapons. some of em been around a very long time and you never know how many rounds been through it.

Old 03-05-2010, 02:33 AM   #7

Liked 80 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 25

One of the main problems with the Luger pistols is the ammo. Modern factory 9mm ammo is not loaded to the higher pressures that the Luger requires for proper functioning. The original 9mm Parabelum ammo in Germany was loaded to higher pressures for use in the sub-machine guns and Luger pistols. Have a gunsmith that knows Lugers look at it to make sure it is operating properly. If it is ok, then either try +P ammo or load your own ammo. You will have to work your loads up until it will function reliably. I had the same problems with my Lugers with factory ammo in years past, until I loaded ammo that would function the toggle action properly........Hope this helps.....

Jim................

Old 03-05-2010, 02:42 AM   #8

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

NO it isn't the 9mm ammo. He already said the gun is a 30 Luger, not a 9mm. My suspicion would lean towards the magazine once the ejector is eliminated. Is it the original magazine for the gun, or is it an aftermarket? I base this on "the unfired round is all cockeyed under it..." If the feed lips aren't right, it's possible the unfired round is bumping the fired one during the ejection and reload cycle. It's been a few years since I have owned one of each caliber at the same time, but I do recall the magazines would fit in each gun, but were NOT interchangeable. Is it possible you have a 9mm magazine trying to feed a 7.65mm round?

Old 03-05-2010, 01:15 PM   #9

Liked 80 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by superc View Post
NO it isn't the 9mm ammo. He already said the gun is a 30 Luger, not a 9mm. My suspicion would lean towards the magazine once the ejector is eliminated. Is it the original magazine for the gun, or is it an aftermarket? I base this on "the unfired round is all cockeyed under it..." If the feed lips aren't right, it's possible the unfired round is bumping the fired one during the ejection and reload cycle. It's been a few years since I have owned one of each caliber at the same time, but I do recall the magazines would fit in each gun, but were NOT interchangeable. Is it possible you have a 9mm magazine trying to feed a 7.65mm round?
I overlooked the caliber when reading his post. Maybe I should wear my reading glasses next time..........................

Jim..........

Old 03-05-2010, 01:49 PM   #10

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

It's a timing issue, or the extractor. If the extractor has the proper holding pressure and the magazine is eliminated as the problem, it must be timing.

Re-spring the gun to factory specs and go from there.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello