Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Luger (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/luger-24195/)

sfguy 03-04-2010 04:41 PM

Luger

A friend of mine bought a 1916 Erfurt Luger in 30 Cal Luger made in 1916, looks pretty good however it stove pipes every round that is fired. He bought another magazine and that does not help. He is firing factory ammo. I have taken it completely apart and cleaned it and can find nothing out of the ordinary. If you cycle by hand, it works perfectly. Any ideas where I might look next for the problem.

Thanks

sfvet

stalkingbear 03-04-2010 05:11 PM

By stovepiping I assume the spent casings are the 1s that's stovepiping? Look at the ejector real close.

TheOldMan 03-04-2010 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stalkingbear (Post 241149)
By stovepiping I assume the spent casings are the 1s that's stovepiping? Look at the ejector real close.

+1 that would be my call..

stalkingbear 03-04-2010 06:42 PM

It could also be the extractor letting the case go before it ejects. It's hard to say on a Luger without seeing it 1sthand.

sfguy 03-05-2010 12:03 AM

Luger

Thanks for the tips, I looked at the ejector and not having another one to compare it with and not having worked on many Lugers, I don't know what I should be looking for, if the ejector is the problem, why would it worked perfectly by hand? The fired case stovepipes against the front of the barrel and the unfired round is all cockeyed under it.

Thanks again

sfguy

JonM 03-05-2010 02:00 AM

im not conversant with lugers but it does sound like a weak ejector or the ejector is no longer servicable or very worn. i would suggest taking it to a competent gunsmith they might be able to tell if something is amiss. but that is the nature of really old weapons. some of em been around a very long time and you never know how many rounds been through it.

masterPsmith 03-05-2010 02:33 AM

One of the main problems with the Luger pistols is the ammo. Modern factory 9mm ammo is not loaded to the higher pressures that the Luger requires for proper functioning. The original 9mm Parabelum ammo in Germany was loaded to higher pressures for use in the sub-machine guns and Luger pistols. Have a gunsmith that knows Lugers look at it to make sure it is operating properly. If it is ok, then either try +P ammo or load your own ammo. You will have to work your loads up until it will function reliably. I had the same problems with my Lugers with factory ammo in years past, until I loaded ammo that would function the toggle action properly........Hope this helps.....

Jim................

superc 03-05-2010 02:42 AM

NO it isn't the 9mm ammo. He already said the gun is a 30 Luger, not a 9mm. My suspicion would lean towards the magazine once the ejector is eliminated. Is it the original magazine for the gun, or is it an aftermarket? I base this on "the unfired round is all cockeyed under it..." If the feed lips aren't right, it's possible the unfired round is bumping the fired one during the ejection and reload cycle. It's been a few years since I have owned one of each caliber at the same time, but I do recall the magazines would fit in each gun, but were NOT interchangeable. Is it possible you have a 9mm magazine trying to feed a 7.65mm round?

masterPsmith 03-05-2010 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superc (Post 241569)
NO it isn't the 9mm ammo. He already said the gun is a 30 Luger, not a 9mm. My suspicion would lean towards the magazine once the ejector is eliminated. Is it the original magazine for the gun, or is it an aftermarket? I base this on "the unfired round is all cockeyed under it..." If the feed lips aren't right, it's possible the unfired round is bumping the fired one during the ejection and reload cycle. It's been a few years since I have owned one of each caliber at the same time, but I do recall the magazines would fit in each gun, but were NOT interchangeable. Is it possible you have a 9mm magazine trying to feed a 7.65mm round?

I overlooked the caliber when reading his post. Maybe I should wear my reading glasses next time..........................

Jim..........

canebrake 03-05-2010 01:49 PM

It's a timing issue, or the extractor. If the extractor has the proper holding pressure and the magazine is eliminated as the problem, it must be timing.

Re-spring the gun to factory specs and go from there.