Lost parts so small they defy magnification
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Lost parts so small they defy magnification

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 07:42 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Lost parts so small they defy magnification

I have lost the smallest parts possible for my new vz58, the cover pin safety pin, and of course the even smaller cover pin's safety pin spring! Not wanting to spend $24.00 in Shipping!!! If anyone knows of any of these parts that someone might have laying around extra, I would be deeply grateful.

Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-05-2013, 09:30 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2986 Times on 1720 Posts
Likes Given: 1280

May I suggest that the next time you disassemble it, do it in a large garbage bag?
It is easier to find lost parts in a bag than in a room.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

People Like This 
Old 06-05-2013, 09:42 AM   #3

Liked 176 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 165

How did you loose it?

If you lost it in carpet, borrow some of your wife's pantyhose. Slide it over the wand of a vacuum so the opening of the wand is filtered by the nylons. Grid search the area where you lost your piece. It may or may not work but it's worth a shot

We must always fear evil men, but there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most... And that is the indifference of good men!

People Like This 
Old 06-05-2013, 12:10 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5811 Times on 3033 Posts
Likes Given: 398

those large shop magnets for picking up shavings work great for lost steel parts.

vaccuum is free if you already have one. pantyhose is cheap. sweeper magnet prolly cost more than the shipping and new parts.

could always just get a bright flash light and get after it on hands and knees.

or pay the cost of shipping

those are about the only ways of doing it.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

ProfBri Likes This 
Old 06-05-2013, 12:42 PM   #5

Liked 47 Times on 37 Posts

Whenever I disassemble small parts I use a large cardboard box to make sure I don't loose any of the tiny pieces. Spring loaded parts are pain in the ass.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:08 PM   #6

Default That is a very good idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
May I suggest that the next time you disassemble it, do it in a large garbage bag?
It is easier to find lost parts in a bag than in a room.

Inside the shower with a cover over the drain is another idea. But I was not thinking very much, obviously.

I was just trying to replace the stock. It actually didn't even occur to me that anything was amiss until several hours afterward.

Yeah, I'm an idgit.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by improvised_prepper View Post
How did you loose it?

If you lost it in carpet, borrow some of your wife's pantyhose. Slide it over the wand of a vacuum so the opening of the wand is filtered by the nylons. Grid search the area where you lost your piece. It may or may not work but it's worth a shot
Another really clever idea. I hadn't really intended to disassemble it, it was likely the banging it over the rail to loosen the stock bolt that jarred the thing out .

Of course, that is just a guess...

Old 06-05-2013, 09:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
those large shop magnets for picking up shavings work great for lost steel parts.

vaccuum is free if you already have one. pantyhose is cheap. sweeper magnet prolly cost more than the shipping and new parts.

could always just get a bright flash light and get after it on hands and knees.

or pay the cost of shipping

those are about the only ways of doing it.
Unfortunately the rail I was banging it on when it most likely flew out of there is outside above the potted azaleas and assorted other plants...

Old 06-05-2013, 09:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman77 View Post
Whenever I disassemble small parts I use a large cardboard box to make sure I don't loose any of the tiny pieces. Spring loaded parts are pain in the ass.
Yeah, those spring ejector seat parts...how you control those without completely surrounding the thing in a plastic bag like DanFl said is anybody's guess.

And of course, when it's inside the bag you can't see what you are doing. That may be fine for all you with the experience, but for us Newbs we like to see what we're screwing up!