Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Lost parts so small they defy magnification (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/lost-parts-so-small-they-defy-magnification-91810/)

ProfBri 06-05-2013 07:42 AM

Lost parts so small they defy magnification

I have lost the smallest parts possible for my new vz58, the cover pin safety pin, and of course the even smaller cover pin's safety pin spring! Not wanting to spend $24.00 in Shipping!!! If anyone knows of any of these parts that someone might have laying around extra, I would be deeply grateful.

Thanks.

danf_fl 06-05-2013 09:30 AM

May I suggest that the next time you disassemble it, do it in a large garbage bag?
It is easier to find lost parts in a bag than in a room.

improvised_prepper 06-05-2013 09:42 AM

How did you loose it?

If you lost it in carpet, borrow some of your wife's pantyhose. Slide it over the wand of a vacuum so the opening of the wand is filtered by the nylons. Grid search the area where you lost your piece. It may or may not work but it's worth a shot

JonM 06-05-2013 12:10 PM

those large shop magnets for picking up shavings work great for lost steel parts.

vaccuum is free if you already have one. pantyhose is cheap. sweeper magnet prolly cost more than the shipping and new parts.

could always just get a bright flash light and get after it on hands and knees.

or pay the cost of shipping

those are about the only ways of doing it.

rifleman77 06-05-2013 12:42 PM

Whenever I disassemble small parts I use a large cardboard box to make sure I don't loose any of the tiny pieces. Spring loaded parts are pain in the ass.

ProfBri 06-05-2013 09:08 PM

That is a very good idea...

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 1268151)
May I suggest that the next time you disassemble it, do it in a large garbage bag?
It is easier to find lost parts in a bag than in a room.

Inside the shower with a cover over the drain is another idea. But I was not thinking very much, obviously.

I was just trying to replace the stock. It actually didn't even occur to me that anything was amiss until several hours afterward.

Yeah, I'm an idgit.

ProfBri 06-05-2013 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by improvised_prepper (Post 1268157)
How did you loose it?

If you lost it in carpet, borrow some of your wife's pantyhose. Slide it over the wand of a vacuum so the opening of the wand is filtered by the nylons. Grid search the area where you lost your piece. It may or may not work but it's worth a shot

Another really clever idea. I hadn't really intended to disassemble it, it was likely the banging it over the rail to loosen the stock bolt that jarred the thing out :(.

Of course, that is just a guess...:D

ProfBri 06-05-2013 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 1268200)
those large shop magnets for picking up shavings work great for lost steel parts.

vaccuum is free if you already have one. pantyhose is cheap. sweeper magnet prolly cost more than the shipping and new parts.

could always just get a bright flash light and get after it on hands and knees.

or pay the cost of shipping

those are about the only ways of doing it.

Unfortunately the rail I was banging it on when it most likely flew out of there is outside above the potted azaleas and assorted other plants...:(

ProfBri 06-05-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rifleman77 (Post 1268215)
Whenever I disassemble small parts I use a large cardboard box to make sure I don't loose any of the tiny pieces. Spring loaded parts are pain in the ass.

Yeah, those spring ejector seat parts...how you control those without completely surrounding the thing in a plastic bag like DanFl said is anybody's guess.

And of course, when it's inside the bag you can't see what you are doing. That may be fine for all you with the experience, but for us Newbs we like to see what we're screwing up! :D