Looking for a portable desktop pistol gunsmithing workstation/box
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Looking for a portable desktop pistol gunsmithing workstation/box

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2012, 12:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Looking for a portable desktop pistol gunsmithing workstation/box

I'm looking for a workstation as described in the title. I'm a very competent woodworker, but I don't have a lot of time, and am hoping to find an off-the-shelf portable pistol gunsmithing workstation that has a combined work area and a flip-up 'top' to hold common tools (I can install magnetic tool holders) and cleaning supplies. Any leads to who might make such a product? Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-24-2012, 12:47 AM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Welcome to FTF. I've only seen armorers kits for specific firearms or platforms. I'd be interested to see what you come up with.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:50 AM   #3

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

I think your best bet would be to build it yourself but like you said if you don't have the time to build one draw something up and take it to a local craftsman I think gun smithing is to specialized to sell a mass produced ready to go work bench but I could be wrong

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"

Old 07-24-2012, 01:32 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 405 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbass59
I'm looking for a workstation as described in the title. I'm a very competent woodworker, but I don't have a lot of time, and am hoping to find an off-the-shelf portable pistol gunsmithing workstation that has a combined work area and a flip-up 'top' to hold common tools (I can install magnetic tool holders) and cleaning supplies. Any leads to who might make such a product? Thanks!
in my opinion your best bet is a fold out table and a tool bag. What you have described seems like it would be heavy and make it awkward to move but I could be wrong. If you do work something post pick I would be interested to see it. I am a electric motor service technician and usually I take my tools in bags and a rolling cart the tailgate as a workbench when needed so I have some experiance on the mobile service field that's why I say what I say

My pistols, however, I always kept by me.
Jesse James

Old 07-24-2012, 02:16 AM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

what you might look into is the Black and Decker Workmate table and a large multi trayed tackle box. fold the table out and lay a heavy cloth on the top to make a padded work area, and when finished, fold it up and store in a closet or wherever, throw the dirty cloth in the washing machine and put the tackle bos in the closet or wherever too. just a suggestion.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:15 AM   #6

I'm new here but came across this post and thought I'd pass this along. I came across this website that may be able to fill your needs. I purchased the first version out just to hold my pistol while I disassembled it. They now have a more complete work station available I plan on ordering soon. Here's a link to the website.

http://www.presentarmsinc.com/home.html

Old 08-25-2012, 12:53 PM   #7

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts

Before I had "Opa's special place" I kept my gear in some tackle boxes (one for pistols and one for rifles) with a gun mat and some towels. I did service fire alarm systems and organization is the key when you work out of the back of a service truck.

Old 08-29-2012, 02:51 AM   #8

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you truly are a very competent woodworker then you don't need to look around, unless you want some plans/ideas to steal. I recently retired from furniture making and I can pretty much figure out what I need for my activities regarding firearms. A corner to mount a reloading press, a shoulder vise and a machinist's vise, maybe a bench holdfast or two. The biggest problem is what space you have available; then build the largest RUGGED bench that will fit, and go to town.
The Workmate is a total joke, looking for people to snare and fool.

Old 08-29-2012, 02:03 PM   #9

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts

"Opa's special place" is a small room in my shop about 5'x10'. Bench is 18" deep and 42" tall, 6' along one wall and the width of the room on the other wall. Reloading gear on the short side work area on the other. Wall cabinets on the long side. 3' wide metal wardrobe cabinet customized inside for gun storage. I can get 20 long guns in it without problems. I have a old 4 drawer tackle box with all my cleaning gear and some tools that I can grab to take to the range or wherever.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:46 AM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I saw a nice heavy duty work table at Lowes for around 200 dollars. It has pegboard on the back, an enclosed storage area across the top, drawers and a light mounted to it. I may pick one up once I get my work shop a little more organized.

Tim

The Second Amendment makes all the others possible.