Looking for opinions - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Looking for opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 08:37 PM   #21
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
They should. It'd take anywheres from 2 days to a week for me to barrel it. It would all just depend on what kind of barrel it is and the work I would have to do to it.
my thinking is going with an OEM barrel being the easiest route. just install it, set the headspace and it should be good to go.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:06 PM   #22

I'll give them a call and see what it would be. I'll let you guys know what I find out. It might be Monday or Tuesday though before I talk to a smith. Planning on going to the range again as well.
Off topic, bought my first shot gun yesterday and some clays and target loads. Any advise on skeet shooting?

Old 11-24-2012, 10:10 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucas2006 View Post
I'll give them a call and see what it would be. I'll let you guys know what I find out. It might be Monday or Tuesday though before I talk to a smith. Planning on going to the range again as well.
Off topic, bought my first shot gun yesterday and some clays and target loads. Any advise on skeet shooting?
find a range that does skeet shooting or sporting clays and see if someone there can give you some instruction or pointers. i have never shot skeet, but did do a lot of sporting clays years ago, and it was the most fun i ever had with a shotgun!

Old 11-25-2012, 12:54 AM   #24

Liked 743 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 232

You could lap that existing barrel and it might clean up enough to shoot with hunting accuracy.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 11-25-2012, 01:05 AM   #25

something else i read that a person could try is to cut about half an inch off the muzzle and have it recrowned. worst case is it wouldn't change anything and best case, it might fix the problem.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:42 AM   #26

...forgot to call marlin today.

The crown doesn't look bad, but a couple inches down is abit of pitting, and spots here and there down to just above the thoat are pitted. To my surprise though, the throat and chamber are not bad, though the chamber has some rings in it that take a firm hold of brass sometimes if they expand enough.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:16 AM   #27

For those still interested in this...
Took the marlin to the range today and put about 20 rounds through it, except I mounted a scope to it. My father in law had a never been used Bushnell 4x38 sport view (or something) laying around so I mounted and sighted it. At 50yd (with my untrained skill) could shoot about a 1in group. at 100yd was pulling about a 2.5. I know that's crap compared to about 90% of you but for a pitted barrel and an amateur rifleman, I'm calling that good enough to take a deer. at less than 150.
This blew me away and reminded me that I'm crap with bullhorn sights. I still plan to lap it as I can't see how it would hurt if I'm careful and only run it a few times with a fine grit. The other thing that really surprised me is that the barrel has a nice tapper to it. I realized this while cleaning today as I was paying special attention to how it felt. I'm going to try and keep it this way using mainly the muzzle to cast the slug.
I still forgot to call marlin, but I did stop by a custom gunsmith shop near the range to ask what it would cost to switch barrels. 550$ to get a new one. I don't know if that includes the barrel of if he makes his own, but knowing how much the rifle was new, I can't see spending 3 times as much for a new barrel.

Thanks again for every ones opinion as it was what I was looking for. This little short range plinker/hunter will stay as it is and hopefully improve with a light lap.
alucas2006
(this was written past midnight for me with a bit too much rum in the blood. Please forgive for whatever one may nitpick about)

Off topic, I just picked up a little Mossberg 802 bolt plinkster. I was thinking about running a mop with some flitz to polish it up and speed up breakin as well as ease with cleaning. Any thoughts?

Old 11-29-2012, 06:19 AM   #28

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucas2006 View Post
For those still interested in this...
Took the marlin to the range today and put about 20 rounds through it, except I mounted a scope to it. My father in law had a never been used Bushnell 4x38 sport view (or something) laying around so I mounted and sighted it. At 50yd (with my untrained skill) could shoot about a 1in group. at 100yd was pulling about a 2.5. I know that's crap compared to about 90% of you but for a pitted barrel and an amateur rifleman, I'm calling that good enough to take a deer. at less than 150.
This blew me away and reminded me that I'm crap with bullhorn sights. I still plan to lap it as I can't see how it would hurt if I'm careful and only run it a few times with a fine grit. The other thing that really surprised me is that the barrel has a nice tapper to it. I realized this while cleaning today as I was paying special attention to how it felt. I'm going to try and keep it this way using mainly the muzzle to cast the slug.
I still forgot to call marlin, but I did stop by a custom gunsmith shop near the range to ask what it would cost to switch barrels. 550$ to get a new one. I don't know if that includes the barrel of if he makes his own, but knowing how much the rifle was new, I can't see spending 3 times as much for a new barrel.

Thanks again for every ones opinion as it was what I was looking for. This little short range plinker/hunter will stay as it is and hopefully improve with a light lap.
alucas2006
(this was written past midnight for me with a bit too much rum in the blood. Please forgive for whatever one may nitpick about)

Off topic, I just picked up a little Mossberg 802 bolt plinkster. I was thinking about running a mop with some flitz to polish it up and speed up breakin as well as ease with cleaning. Any thoughts?
Good little guns. I wouldn't use flitz first time through but something like clp or gun scrubber

Old 11-29-2012, 10:58 PM   #29

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

I think I would try and find a replacement barrel for it. By the time you go to all the time and trouble to me it wouldn't be worth it. But, if your like me and you just want todo it. Go for it.

Bobg