Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Looking for a manual or advice on a problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2011, 05:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Looking for a manual or advice on a problem

I recently bought a used AMT CAL.22 L.R./H.V. BACK UP and im having nothing but problems. The gun keeps jamming. It will eject the shell once in a while but not all the time the rest of the time i have to manualy open the chamber and manual remove the shell. I have searched online for a manual so i can break this gun down for cleaning hoping that will resolve this issue. Has anyone run into this problem with this gun and might know how to resolve this problem? It very hard to find ANY info on this particular gun. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-09-2011, 08:37 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8410 Times on 3645 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

Greetings, J- and welcome to the forum. Stop over in the intro section when you get a chance, and say howdy.

In the meantime, is THIS your pistol?

http://stevespages.com/pdf/amt_22-380_backup.pdf

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 01-10-2011, 02:56 AM   #3

Hi there C. Thank you for warm welcome. I bought this gun for my young son because he is showing interset in learning to shoot. I own a .44 magnum s&w with the 8" barrel, 357 s&w snub,.40 cal. glock, 12gauge mossburg 500 shotgun and a ruger mini 14 rifle.It was too hard for him to shoot any of my hand guns but I didnt want him to loose interest so i bought the .22 back up "used" and as you can see from my previous posting its nothing but trouble. The link you sent me is great thank you for that. I will break it down clean and lube it and hopefully that will resolve the issue. If not then Im going to have to do a little more research on this gun.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:09 PM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Default Amt 22

Ammo. Try different ammo. Same symptoms were occuring with AMT .22WMR, switched ammo and that was that, it's been a ginning for the last 19years with no mifires or jams, other than shooting too much at range, 200rds and it gets a little dirty, then maybe a jam but no usually even then.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:35 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Amt

Howdy J
I agree with Paul. Some .22's can be finicky when it comes to the ammunition you feed them. Try different brand of ammo and see if that fixes the problem. MC

Old 01-11-2011, 02:57 PM   #6

Thanks Paul and Montana. Ill give it a "shot" what do i have to lose? I'll let you guy know how it goes.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:38 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

JV I had bought some Russian .22 ammo for $7.00 a brick a few years ago and just to show you how .22 ammo can perform differently in different guns this ammo was not accurate in any of the .22's I tried it in untill one day I went to the range and thought I would burn this ammo up in the 10-22. I could not believe how accurate the Russian ammo was out of the 10-22. I'm talking one ragged hole at fifty yds. After that I located two more bricks of that ammo at the local gun show, same lot number.

This ammo is steel cased and has a funky lube on it which is the only thing I don't like about it. The box the ammo is packed in is green with a turkey on the box. I know sounds funny about the turkey. The other thing that you need to consider is the lot number of the ammo. You can have one brand of ammo shoot very good out of you gun and the next time you by the same ammo it may not shoot as accuratly. This is because things can change from one lot of ammo to the next. Things like different priming compound, brass, powder lot, bullet lube. All these things can affect accuracy and too how the gun functions.

My brother had a problem recently with a H&R 999 Sportsman revolver that would fail to fire quite often and accuracy suffered. Suggested to him to try a different brand of ammo. He said that he had just purchased the ammo he was using and that it had always worked well in the past. The ammo had a different lot number than the previous ammo (same manufacture). He bought a new box of ammo different manufacture and his failure to fire went away. MC