Looking For Bill Pitts

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Looking For Bill Pitts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2014, 09:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Looking For Bill Pitts

Hello,

I live in Pennsylvania & don't know your area at all. I have an old family Bayard pocket pistol and I understand that an Oklahoma gunsmith named William "Bill" Pitts is very knowledgeable about these pistols. That information is from some time ago, I'm guessing at least ten years. And I don't even know what part of Oklahoma he was in.

But if anyone knows Mr. Pitts and can put me in touch with him, I will appreciate it. This is just an inexpensive little pistol but it does have a bit of family history behind it. I'd really like to have someone look it over for me to see if it's shootable or needs work, and if I can find Mr. Pitts I'll ask him if I can ship it to him.

Thanks for reading this.

- - Rob Ashbaugh

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-19-2014, 06:14 PM   #2

Liked 56 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I would think any reputable gunsmith could make a reliable assessment. Depending on the age and caliber he may tell you not to use any modern + type ammo.

Some info here. http://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/Bayard/bayard.html

http://www.alibris.com/search/books/author/W.-H.-B.-Smith

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Last edited by dteed4094; 03-19-2014 at 06:47 PM.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:23 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8883 Times on 3846 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

My crystal ball just got back from the shop(needed an oil change). It tells me you are somewhere around Pittsburgh. Go a few miles North to Butler PA. Lookup Grant- he runs Sportsman's Supply. Ask him for advice or a recommendation for a smith. Tell him C3Shooter sends his best regards.

His shop- 245 Freeport Rd, Butler, PA 16002
(724) 287-4294

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Last edited by c3shooter; 03-19-2014 at 06:29 PM.
winds-of-change Likes This