Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   Gunsmithing Forum (
-   -   Looking for a .30 indicating rod. (

unioncreek 10-02-2013 09:51 PM

Looking for a .30 indicating rod.
I'm going to shorten the barrel on my 308 and am in need of a range or indicating rod. I will be clambering a 308 barrel this winter also so I might as well go ahead and get one. Where's the best place to get one?


BillM 10-02-2013 11:09 PM

OK---I'll admit ignorance. What is a "range or indicating rod" that you would use on a .308 rifle?
Only place I've heard that term used is for a rod used to check cylinder alignment on a

unioncreek 10-03-2013 12:37 AM


You use it to set a barrel up in a lathe so you can center the barrel so everything is lined up on the bore. Use it for chambering and crowning the muzzle.


BillM 10-03-2013 12:21 PM

OK--that makes sense. Thank you for the explanation.

You have checked the usual suspects? Brownell's,
Manson, Pacific tool and gauge, Clymer?

Would a collimator spud be accurate enough?

unioncreek 10-03-2013 02:56 PM

Oh have to ask someone.


bmnloader 10-03-2013 03:13 PM

You can get a gage pin from McMaster Carr that might work. They come in various lengths and sizes.

unioncreek 10-03-2013 05:16 PM

A pin gauge would work if I could find one about six inches long.


hiwall 10-04-2013 01:43 AM

why don't you make your own?

unioncreek 10-04-2013 04:41 AM


What steel would I have to use and what would be the procedure? I have a lathe, if I could do it on that.


hiwall 10-04-2013 01:37 PM

it only has to be a smooth rod of the correct diameter. any metal (or likely some plastics) could be used. length could be quite short (1 to 2 inches). only enough should be outside of the barrel for the indicator to ride on.

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:13 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.