Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Locating a gunsmith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2010, 02:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Locating a gunsmith

About a year and a half ago I bought a k98k rifle dated to WWII. I haven't been able to shoot it yet because I haven't found a range that allows .30-30-06 caliber rifles at their ranges. Also for safety reasons I wanted to get the gun checked before I shoot it. I want to make sure the head space is ok and to see what condition the rifling is in. Does anyone here know of a good gunsmith in the Philadelphia area that can inspect my gun? I guess I could just go out and shoot it and see what happens but I'm afraid the thing will blow up on me because of bad headspacing.

EDIT-Did an internet search and checked the yellow pages and came up with nothing. Could it be there are no gunsmiths in the whole Philadelphia area?

Last edited by Slickrick214; 03-09-2010 at 02:57 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-09-2010, 07:32 PM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Do you have any actual gun stores (not "Sporting Goods chain stores") in your area? They may be able to hook you up with a gunsmith.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 03-09-2010, 10:40 PM   #3

Kind of. The place I shoot my AR15 at is a gun store/shooting range all in one. I guess I could ask one of the workers there if they know any gunsmiths in the area.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:53 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Slickrick - Your best bet is to find a shooter at the club that has a custom rifle and talk to them. A Benchrest or competition guy. Someone who is serious about his craft.

I am betting they will be able to tell you two or three in the surrounding area, as well as any that they did business with and were not happy with the outcome.

As you are in Philly, I am betting it's not a very long list, gun regs and all.

But Pennsylvania is home to the original 1,000 yard Benchrest Shooting Club and those guys take their sport to a whole different level of "passion".

I am betting you can call or write the club, maybe through their website, and get a list of guys who can help you with this exact issue.

Best of luck!

JD

Old 03-10-2010, 01:25 AM   #5

Liked 370 Times on 228 Posts
Likes Given: 1011

Shooting Supplies, Reloading, Gunsmithing, Hunting, Ammunition, Gun Parts & Rifle Scopes — MidwayUSA down at the bottom of there home page there is a gunsmith locater by area code.