Live rnd stuck in chamber
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Live rnd stuck in chamber

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2009, 03:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Live rnd stuck in chamber

How can I remove it? Part of the rim was torn off by the extractor and the brass rod method resulted in the bullet being pushed into the case.
Thanks, Jim

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-26-2009, 04:30 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Try your local gun smith.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:40 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

+1, but what kind of gun is it? A little more information might help us out.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 05-26-2009, 05:06 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I would say the gunsmith would be the safest and most logical choice at this point.

How did you rip the rim? Where you trying to fast cycle the weapon?

Is there a way to rotate the round to get fresh purchase on the rim of the case? Since you already have part of the case damaged, you might be able to use that to your advantage to twist the round.

As for the brass rod method, I would hold off going any further on that. If you pressed the round back into the body case, you definitely don't want to be pressing any further ( or your luck ).

JD

Old 05-26-2009, 07:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
I would say the gunsmith would be the safest and most logical choice at this point.

How did you rip the rim? Where you trying to fast cycle the weapon?

Is there a way to rotate the round to get fresh purchase on the rim of the case? Since you already have part of the case damaged, you might be able to use that to your advantage to twist the round.

As for the brass rod method, I would hold off going any further on that. If you pressed the round back into the body case, you definitely don't want to be pressing any further ( or your luck ).

JD
The big danger is the live primer and any remaining powder. Since the case is torn, I'd wet the powder to render it inert before doing anything else.

In lieu of a gunsmith, here's what I would do:

Once the powder has been wetted:

1) Purchase a black-powder kit; it contains the cork-screw bullet puller used by muzzleloaders to unload live loads from their guns when they have FTF issues.
2) Try to remove as much of the bullet lead as possible; this will allow you to retry the brass rod, given that the case can now collapse more easily. Punch carefully to try to keep the base attached to the casing.
3) Using needle-nose pliers, try to remove the remainder of the rim and casing from the chamber.
4) If the rim tears off, leaving the casing in the chamber, use a standard case remover to try and get that out.

If you're still unsuccessful, take it to the gunsmith.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:44 PM   #6

Situation remedied by using a collet set up to grab the case head. Once this was done it was 'slam hammered' out.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:32 PM   #7

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpretle View Post
Situation remedied by using a collet set up to grab the case head. Once this was done it was 'slam hammered' out.
HOLY CRAP BATMAN. You are one lucky guy that it didn't go off and blow your hand off and ruin your hearing.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:14 AM   #8
bb1

You never did say what type of weapon it is. If it is a bolt action rifle. Hold the bullet in w/ the brass rod. Invert the gun and shake all the powder out. Turn it muzzle up and pour in some light oil. This will kill the primer. Let it soak. I wait days. Then use the brass or aluminum rod to knok the case out. simple and safe.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:43 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb1 View Post
You never did say what type of weapon it is. If it is a bolt action rifle. Hold the bullet in w/ the brass rod. Invert the gun and shake all the powder out. Turn it muzzle up and pour in some light oil. This will kill the primer. Let it soak. I wait days. Then use the brass or aluminum rod to knok the case out. simple and safe.

Why are you digging this up?

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 09-14-2009, 12:41 AM   #10

Default ??????

because he cant read that its done,kaput,finished,ended.

Closed Thread