Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Live rnd stuck in chamber (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/live-rnd-stuck-chamber-14168/)

jpretle 05-26-2009 03:22 PM

Live rnd stuck in chamber

How can I remove it? Part of the rim was torn off by the extractor and the brass rod method resulted in the bullet being pushed into the case.
Thanks, Jim

hunter Joe 05-26-2009 04:30 PM

Try your local gun smith.

spittinfire 05-26-2009 04:40 PM

+1, but what kind of gun is it? A little more information might help us out.

Dillinger 05-26-2009 05:06 PM

I would say the gunsmith would be the safest and most logical choice at this point.

How did you rip the rim? Where you trying to fast cycle the weapon?

Is there a way to rotate the round to get fresh purchase on the rim of the case? Since you already have part of the case damaged, you might be able to use that to your advantage to twist the round.

As for the brass rod method, I would hold off going any further on that. If you pressed the round back into the body case, you definitely don't want to be pressing any further ( or your luck ).

JD

indy_kid 05-26-2009 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 109392)
I would say the gunsmith would be the safest and most logical choice at this point.

How did you rip the rim? Where you trying to fast cycle the weapon?

Is there a way to rotate the round to get fresh purchase on the rim of the case? Since you already have part of the case damaged, you might be able to use that to your advantage to twist the round.

As for the brass rod method, I would hold off going any further on that. If you pressed the round back into the body case, you definitely don't want to be pressing any further ( or your luck ).

JD

The big danger is the live primer and any remaining powder. Since the case is torn, I'd wet the powder to render it inert before doing anything else.

In lieu of a gunsmith, here's what I would do:

Once the powder has been wetted:

1) Purchase a black-powder kit; it contains the cork-screw bullet puller used by muzzleloaders to unload live loads from their guns when they have FTF issues.
2) Try to remove as much of the bullet lead as possible; this will allow you to retry the brass rod, given that the case can now collapse more easily. Punch carefully to try to keep the base attached to the casing.
3) Using needle-nose pliers, try to remove the remainder of the rim and casing from the chamber.
4) If the rim tears off, leaving the casing in the chamber, use a standard case remover to try and get that out.

If you're still unsuccessful, take it to the gunsmith.

jpretle 05-30-2009 01:44 PM

Situation remedied by using a collet set up to grab the case head. Once this was done it was 'slam hammered' out.

cpttango30 05-30-2009 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpretle (Post 110967)
Situation remedied by using a collet set up to grab the case head. Once this was done it was 'slam hammered' out.

HOLY CRAP BATMAN. You are one lucky guy that it didn't go off and blow your hand off and ruin your hearing.

bb1 09-03-2009 04:14 AM

You never did say what type of weapon it is. If it is a bolt action rifle. Hold the bullet in w/ the brass rod. Invert the gun and shake all the powder out. Turn it muzzle up and pour in some light oil. This will kill the primer. Let it soak. I wait days. Then use the brass or aluminum rod to knok the case out. simple and safe.

spittinfire 09-03-2009 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bb1 (Post 154799)
You never did say what type of weapon it is. If it is a bolt action rifle. Hold the bullet in w/ the brass rod. Invert the gun and shake all the powder out. Turn it muzzle up and pour in some light oil. This will kill the primer. Let it soak. I wait days. Then use the brass or aluminum rod to knok the case out. simple and safe.

Why are you digging this up?

WILDCATT 09-14-2009 12:41 AM

??????

because he cant read that its done,kaput,finished,ended.