Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   A little help please! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/little-help-please-80286/)

Foskco 01-04-2013 02:49 AM

A little help please!

So, I'm looking to fet into smithing as a career, I know it is a specialized field that not just anyone gets into, I want to do.everything legal of course...
I'm 19 at the moment so I know ill be waiting a few years for the ffls and what not... but I just want to.find out what I would need to do to head in the direction of being a good gunsmith...
I can't sleep for thinking about guns, so I wanted to see how to get into working on them...

Any advice will be appreciated.

Jpyle 01-04-2013 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foskco (Post 1078954)
So, I'm looking to fet into smithing as a career, I know it is a specialized field that not just anyone gets into, I want to do.everything legal of course...
I'm 19 at the moment so I know ill be waiting a few years for the ffls and what not... but I just want to.find out what I would need to do to head in the direction of being a good gunsmith...
I can't sleep for thinking about guns, so I wanted to see how to get into working on them...

Take up a trade as a machinist...then learn gunsmithing. You'll need the machinist knowledge to be a good smith and the day job to support yourself until you get a good business going.

Foskco 01-04-2013 03:12 AM

Huh, never thought of that what alll licensing do you need to modify firearms or is there really laws governing their modification? Obviously thee is for class 3 weapons but what about for like semi autos and long guns?

Jpyle 01-04-2013 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foskco (Post 1078988)
Huh, never thought of that what alll licensing do you need to modify firearms or is there really laws governing their modification? Obviously thee is for class 3 weapons but what about for like semi autos and long guns?

I believe that you need to carry a license as a gunsmith in most states to work in that trade. Firearms manufacturing is heavily regulated at the Federal and State levels, I believe, a Type 7 FFL is needed as well as specific licensing in your state of residence. Class III NFA type firearms are a whole nother animal...big bucks to get the licensing and the BATFE is up your azz all the time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Firearms_License

c3shooter 01-04-2013 03:28 AM

In order to repair guns as a business- ANY guns other than muzzleloaders- you will need an 01 Dealer's FFL. This is covered by Federal law, and applies to all states. This even applies to mounting scopes, stock repairs, and cleaning rifles if you do it for pay.

A good gunsmith is a machinist, a tool & die maker, a cabinetmaker, a bit of a detective, a mechanic, bit of a chemist- and he better be a businessman as well unless you are doing this as a hobby.

Take any classes on machine tools (lathes, milling machines) metal working, welding, and woodworking- as well as math and business classes. There ARE schools of gunsmithing- and there is finding a good senor smith that needs a shop rat- you sweep the floor, he teaches you how to do what he does.

Jpyle 01-04-2013 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 1079010)
In order to repair guns as a business- ANY guns other than muzzleloaders- you will need an 01 Dealer's FFL. This is covered by Federal law, and applies to all states. This even applies to mounting scopes, stock repairs, and cleaning rifles if you do it for pay.

A good gunsmith is a machinist, a tool & die maker, a cabinetmaker, a bit of a detective, a mechanic, bit of a chemist- and he better be a businessman as well unless you are doing this as a hobby.

Take any classes on machine tools (lathes, milling machines) metal working, welding, and woodworking- as well as math and business classes. There ARE schools of gunsmithing- and there is finding a good senor smith that needs a shop rat- you sweep the floor, he teaches you how to do what he does.

The master has spoken...lock the thread. :p

MachineHead 01-04-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foskco

Go to college now for machine tool technology NOW!!! You can thank me later. Like the others have said machining is a big part of full on gun smithing and you will need to learn machine safety and function. Oh and better keep your nose clean while at college, don't want anything to hinder the ffl process. Work hard and before you know it you will be doing what you love

Foskco 01-04-2013 02:34 PM

I really apprecitate all the help guys most people I have talked to have done nothing more than shot down the idea of being a gun smith...

MachineHead 01-04-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foskco
I really apprecitate all the help guys most people I have talked to have done nothing more than shot down the idea of being a gun smith...

You came to the right place. I don't know about the rest of the guys but I am a machinist and one day hope to have class 3 ffl and play with big boy toys. Focus on what you want to become and kick some ass!!!

hiwall 01-04-2013 03:23 PM

Often gunsmiths do not have a FFL if they work in/for a gun shop(they use the gun shop license). But you need the metal working and wood working skills listed above. And start buying books on gunsmithing(there are many good books).