Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Learn Gunsmithing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2010, 11:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Learn Gunsmithing?

What do you do to learn gunsmithing? is it something that's self taught, or is it something that you have to be taught how to do?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-03-2010, 03:16 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8315 Times on 3595 Posts
Likes Given: 1280

There are a couple of routes. The first (and to me, the WORST) is independent study. There are any number of folks that will sell you their training courses, DVDs, etc.

The second- find a smith to apprentice under. This CAN be good, IF you have picked a smith that is not only a good smith, but a good teacher. THAT can be hit or miss.

The third is to enroll in a trade school or community college that teaches gunsmithing. There are a few of these that have a program rated highly by folks that have been thru them- and you also learn some of the other things you need to know about running a business.

My personal advice would be to learn as much as you can about the art of being a machinist (tool and die maker type) and then grab a good school, or a good smith to apprentice to. Companies like Gander Mtn are hungry for smiths, and once you have had some training, would be a good place to gain some experience.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:19 PM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'd wholeheartedly recommend a good gunsmithing trade school, and go from there.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 01-04-2010, 03:24 PM   #4

Where do you live Bigg? I am a graduate of the top school in the country and I have apprenticed as well. I might be able to steer you in the right direction.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:34 PM   #5

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

One of the best schools for Gunsmithing is Gunsmithing Program at Lassen College

The biggest drawback is you have to live in CA. But your in a nice area and there is LOTS of area to hunt. Also not to far from Reno Nv. Nice place to go for a weekend to drink gamble and relax.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:00 PM   #6

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

If your in the area i would look at Colorado School of Trades gunsmithing program, I completed it and learned everything i needed to know to become an entry level smith, after a few years working, hands on with experienced smiths, Im very happy with my job and enjoy everyday i go to work. I think im doing pretty well for my self and i have CST to thank for that....

Just my thoughts.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix