Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > LCSmith 12 GA DBL. Shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2009, 05:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default LCSmith 12 GA DBL. Shotgun

Hi all, I have an old L C Smith shotgun that cracked into 2 pieces by the pistol grip area. What is the best way of repairing this gun stock? What are the chances of someone having an old stock laying around that they would sell? How much does this devalue the gun? It is in fair shape. But it was left to me by my father in law. I would like to restore it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. BTW right now I have the stock glued but that is just a temporary fix.

-souperbee

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-11-2009, 07:03 PM   #2

IF you can find it the best stuff I have found is MICRO BED .Brownells bought them out awhile back but never brought the product back. If not a good bedding compound will work.

Southern California
Anything legal , rifles , handguns , shotguns , black powder

Old 08-11-2009, 07:53 PM   #3

Liked 73 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 28

If it was made by Marlin, Numrich Welcome to Numrich Gun Parts Corp. may have one that will fit. If it's the older Hunter Arms it's gonna be tough to find a replacement. If it's a clean break and the pieces will fit together snugly you can epoxy it and clamp it while it dries and it'll be stronger than it was before the break. Might not look to hot but it will be serviceable. OOPS!, just went back and saw where you said you glued it. Well all is not lost. You can drill through both pieces in a couple of places and drive epoxy coated hardwood dowels into the holes. That will work.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:00 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have a professionally restored LC Smith with a blown barrel - Dove hunt accident. I would be interested in your barrels or possible sell what I have. Would need a fair value though. Mine is a pretty old gun.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-BOLT View Post
I have a professionally restored LC Smith with a blown barrel - Dove hunt accident. I would be interested in your barrels or possible sell what I have. Would need a fair value though. Mine is a pretty old gun.

Before y'all get too far make sure the parts are going to interchange. The original L.C. Smith was made by Hunter Arms in Fulton N.Y. Marlin bought them out in 1945. Now I'm not too sure whether the parts between the Hunter Arms and early Marlins will work but I don't think they will. Marlin reintroduced the Smith in the late 60's until the early 70's and I know those parts wont interchange. I have a Hunter Arms Smith and I could use a better stock. I've looked at Numrich and all they have (or had at the time)was Marlin. They didn't say which issue of Marlin tho and the stock they had would not work on mine.

Last edited by Hawg; 08-11-2009 at 10:25 PM.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:34 AM   #6

A broken/repaired stock will hurt the value to be sure, but if you can get a used replacement, I don't see any problem with that. I had a beautiful Baker Paragon side by side that was in mint, original condition, that some decided to take of about an inch off of the stock WITH A TABLE SAW!!! The gun went from a $3000+ shotgun to one worth about $500 because of the stock. I was told that to restore the gun, (with a new stock), would cost me about $2000, so I sold it for $500.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:44 PM   #7

Mine's just an old clunker 00 grade I picked up for 75.00. It had a homemade forearm and a crack in the wrist that had been pinned. Solid enough but unsightly. It also had a hard rubber recoil pad on it. I finally found an original splinter forearm that makes it look so much better.....On the front anyway.
I tossed the recoil pad and put a steel butt plate off an old 94 Winchester on it. It's a tad big and makes it look like the stock has been sanded down. The old gun is very tight tho and points and shoots like a dream.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:27 AM   #8

Hawg, I just gave my gun the eyeball and it was made by Hunter Arms Co.Fulton N.Y. not sure if that is good or bad? Parts availability I guess it is bad. Further inspection, the left barrel (holding the gun as if you were going to shoot it) has a nice little ding in it. I dont think it is enough to hurt the firing of it but I would shoot it by tying a string to the trigger just to be safe. This gun was my father in law's and he passed away so it has a special meaning to me. How much would you want for you gun if you were to sell it? Can you send me a private message? To all the others who replied I want to thank you for your replys.
-souperbee

Old 08-28-2009, 07:38 PM   #9

Souperbee If you are going to keep the gun for yourself and dont care about value there is a co named Boyds that makes stocks. I had one made for a M1. They did a very nice job and I believe it was under 100 dollars.

Old 10-03-2009, 01:00 AM   #10

Default L.C. Smith buttstock

I have a buttstock

email me at gnbug@prodigy.net

regards from Iowa

Gene