know how to use a CNC machine? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > know how to use a CNC machine?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2009, 09:45 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Rogers, AR
Posts: 6,262
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Wow! Someone else has used Okuma!!

__________________
Gojubrian is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:05 PM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
skullcrusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ohio,Ohio
Posts: 10,949
Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
Skull,

.oooo1???? How? If the air temp changes a couple of degrees the tolerances are out,lol. Don't blow on it!!

I like how where I work we machine the parts in one temperature and they CMM them in another room with a different temp,lol. Makes it interesting figuring out how much it will grow or shrink sometimes.
You are exactly correct, Goju. Metrology plays a huge part in close tolerances. Industry standard says the parts need to be measured at 68° F. CMM's, laser mics, Mahr gauges and air gauges all measure to those tolerances. Calipers were never used for close tols and my 0-6" set of mics measure to .00001. This was for the manufacture of fluid pumps used in the aerospace, military and racing industries. Weldon Pump, born from the original Weldon Tool company. Look 'em up.
__________________

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!


Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!
skullcrusher is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:09 PM   #23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
skullcrusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ohio,Ohio
Posts: 10,949
Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
Wow! Someone else has used Okuma!!
I have a love-hate relationship with Okuma. World class, heavy machines. But the damn Japs had to come up with their own coding! I programmed a LMW lathe (C-axis and sub-spindle) for over 2 years. That control was not a super precision, and the best it could do in regular operation was a tol of .0004. Average was .0007.
__________________

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!


Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!
skullcrusher is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:04 AM   #24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Rogers, AR
Posts: 6,262
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default

LOL! I feel the same way about them.

Believe it or not I had a 3man team engineering group tell me we were having chatter problems because of a seismic reaction "way down in the earth". :coo coo - coo coo: It was just a speed/feed problem with the newest (and cheapest)reground inserts.

I broke my middle finger in one of those air gages once, the part (12lb scroll) was stuck up in there. When I reached in to get it, it decided to let go,lol. snap!

Most of the parts I run now are diffusers for large commercial airliners to the F177a military jet engines. They weigh between 350 - 500+ lbs diameters up to 38+ inches. Fun to load on a horizontal hawacheon lathe with a touchy hoist,lol.

__________________
Gojubrian is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:58 AM   #25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
skullcrusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ohio,Ohio
Posts: 10,949
Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
LOL! I feel the same way about them.

Believe it or not I had a 3man team engineering group tell me we were having chatter problems because of a seismic reaction "way down in the earth". :coo coo - coo coo: It was just a speed/feed problem with the newest (and cheapest)reground inserts.

I broke my middle finger in one of those air gages once, the part (12lb scroll) was stuck up in there. When I reached in to get it, it decided to let go,lol. snap!

Most of the parts I run now are diffusers for large commercial airliners to the F177a military jet engines. They weigh between 350 - 500+ lbs diameters up to 38+ inches. Fun to load on a horizontal hawacheon lathe with a touchy hoist,lol.
Crap!!

I believe the largest dia I've run was 9" 316. That was on a Romi lathe. The control was a converstional EZ-Path. No CSS!!! It is a lathe I'd love to own, but not a production machine.

That Hawecheon is no joke. What spindle size and max rpm?
__________________

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!


Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!
skullcrusher is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:41 AM   #26
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Rogers, AR
Posts: 6,262
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default

The spindle is 42", max rpm is 55rpm. I usually cut around 17-22rpm depending on what I'm machining. We have a vertical Shibura that runs 80-100rpm on the same size spindle/fixture. It takes off .100 at a pass. Those chips fly with ceramic inserts cutting 718 inconel.
I usually cut parent material as preparation for plasma or nickel repair. Makes em' better than new and ready to fly the friendly skies for a few hundred hours.
The place is run similar to the military with all the FAA regs we have to abide by.

__________________
Gojubrian is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:07 AM   #27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
skullcrusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ohio,Ohio
Posts: 10,949
Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
The spindle is 42", max rpm is 55rpm. I usually cut around 17-22rpm depending on what I'm machining. We have a vertical Shibura that runs 80-100rpm on the same size spindle/fixture. It takes off .100 at a pass. Those chips fly with ceramic inserts cutting 718 inconel.
I usually cut parent material as preparation for plasma or nickel repair. Makes em' better than new and ready to fly the friendly skies for a few hundred hours.
The place is run similar to the military with all the FAA regs we have to abide by.
Good god speed to you, brian. I used to grind inconel on a vacuum belt grinder.

For those that do no know, inconel 718 is a super alloy. Look it up...

Much respect to you, and what you do. I know, and that is all that matters.

SC
__________________

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!


Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!
skullcrusher is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Machine Gunnner Grandma . 1861 The Club House 0 06-08-2009 08:26 PM
Yankee Hill Machine jeepcreep927 AR-15 Discussion 1 12-21-2008 12:41 PM