Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > know how to use a CNC machine?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2009, 04:53 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default know how to use a CNC machine?

I'm up to my last MOD for the gunsmith course I am taking which is handguns; the only reason I took the course. In the other MOD's they mentioned using a CNC machine and its functions, but they never went into detail on how it works. Does anyone have experience with a CNC? Operating it? What other uses are there for a CNC machine?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-17-2009, 10:09 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8638 Times on 3742 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

Disclaimer- I DO NOT use CNC machines myself, but have been around enuff manufacturing facilities that do.

Unlike a standard machinist's lathe or milling machine, where you set operations thru a mechanical dial, a CNC unit is controlled by a computer, which directs tool speed, movement in 3 dimensions, etc. Very handy for DUPLICATING multiple pieces parts.

Instead of the machinist turning a set of dials that move the cutter, a computer software program directs it. Allows program to be copied and sent to user to install. Also allows for high degree of accuracy in complex machinings. But to set up program first time, requires knowledge of the machine code (seem to recall G code being common one used).

Does every shop need one? IMHO- no. If you are going into the manufacturing business, might be worthwhile.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:50 PM   #3

Thanks for the help. Now all I gotta do is find out what this G code is and how to use it.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:13 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I operated CNC machining centers for nearly 25 years and there is a lot more to it than learning G-Code programming. Speeds and feeds, M-Code functions, using gauges, tool maintenance, set-up, and the list goes on and on. Stay in school.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:19 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I'm a machinist by trade and can run most types of cnc mills, lathes(vertical and horizontal),etc..

You can write programs to do whatever the machine is capable of using auto-cad or whatever the machine is set up to accept.
Learning the ins and outs of cnc machining is not small feat and would require someone who already knows what they are doing. Otherwise, you'll probably crash it and jack it all up. I went to school for this ,lol.

I work in the aerospace industry for Pratt & Whitney machining jet engine parts for the military and commercial planes holding as tight of tolearnces as + or -1 thousandth or +/- .001 for large diameters. When I worked with high speed cnc machines we would hold as much as 4 microns or .0004.

I also use to run the frames for wilson combat 1911's. Very tight tolerances there.

Here's the G and M codes, but they can vary from machine to machine.

Does it ha ve a FANUC control? What type of CNC is it? I might can help from here.

MachineMate Inc - Full List of CNC Codes

Old 06-17-2009, 03:21 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter Joe View Post
I operated CNC machining centers for nearly 25 years and there is a lot more to it than learning G-Code programming. Speeds and feeds, M-Code functions, using gauges, tool maintenance, set-up, and the list goes on and on. Stay in school.
Pretty much,lol. I've been at it for 13yrs, man am I a lucky guy.

Old 06-17-2009, 04:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
I'm a machinist by trade and can run most types of cnc mills, lathes(vertical and horizontal),etc..

You can write programs to do whatever the machine is capable of using auto-cad or whatever the machine is set up to accept.
Learning the ins and outs of cnc machining is not small feat and would require someone who already knows what they are doing. Otherwise, you'll probably crash it and jack it all up. I went to school for this ,lol.

I work in the aerospace industry for Pratt & Whitney machining jet engine parts for the military and commercial planes holding as tight of tolearnces as + or -1 thousandth or +/- .001 for large diameters. When I worked with high speed cnc machines we would hold as much as 4 microns or .0004.

I also use to run the frames for wilson combat 1911's. Very tight tolerances there.

Here's the G and M codes, but they can vary from machine to machine.

Does it ha ve a FANUC control? What type of CNC is it? I might can help from here.

MachineMate Inc - Full List of CNC Codes
I dont have a specific machine just wanted to learn how to use one. If it was as simple as autocad input and hit drill, it would of been cake. It looks more like its C+ style coding, how do you get a design out of these machines? I'm familiar with Autocad and circuit building is it anything close to the same?

Old 06-17-2009, 04:22 PM   #8

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

CNC machinist here as well. Getting a post from a cad system can be done a few ways. RS232 cable, disk or flash drive depending on the machine and control. Autocad and others need to be programmed to post the codes that that specific control accepts. It can work great, but the cad produces large number of codes and lines even for a simple turn operation.

I program direct G & M codes for some different but popular controls. They are not the same codes for each control. Even within the same make of control, the codes can vary.

Goju, I programmed some Fanuc Super Precision controls that I programmed to .00001 and held tols of +/- .0001 on a regular basis. That is some cool shat right there!

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 06-17-2009, 04:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
CNC machinist here as well. Getting a post from a cad system can be done a few ways. RS232 cable, disk or flash drive depending on the machine and control. Autocad and others need to be programmed to post the codes that that specific control accepts. It can work great, but the cad produces large number of codes and lines even for a simple turn operation.

I program direct G & M codes for some different but popular controls. They are not the same codes for each control. Even within the same make of control, the codes can vary.

Goju, I programmed some Fanuc Super Precision controls that I programmed to .00001 and held tols of +/- .0001 on a regular basis. That is some cool shat right there!
.....kind of sounds like you guys hang out at Area 51; whats a Fanuc SPC?

Old 06-17-2009, 05:15 PM   #10

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynastyofnext View Post
.....kind of sounds like you guys hang out at Area 51; whats a Fanuc SPC?
Maybe a super precision control? Usually the machines are specified SP and the control itself is programmable to 5 digits to the right of the decimal point. The machines are built to tighter tols and the servos handle the minute moves.

For instance: Hardinge T42 SP w/ a Fanuc 18T control is a super precision lathe and the control is programmable to .00001 inches.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!