Kel Tec P3AT problem found
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Kel Tec P3AT problem found

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2014, 11:20 AM   #1
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2970 Times on 1713 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Default Kel Tec P3AT problem found

I started to have problems disassembling my Kel Tec P3AT.

I found the problem to be in the recoil rod area. The head of the rod is dis-formed a little (no longer round, but with flat areas).

Removing the slide is getting difficult. The head of the recoil rod is "catching" on the metal inside of frame and stopping removal of slide. It looks like there is a "divot" in the metal where the recoil rod head would normally be situated. With the recoil spring assembly removed, there is no problem.

I'm getting with Kel-Tec.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-02-2014, 12:03 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 190 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 102

I don't know if you have ever dealt with KT's customer service, but it is honestly some of the best customer service I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with. If you shoot them an email, they are good at getting back back to you and will generally send you whatever parts you need no questions asked. If there is an updated firing pin for your serial number, have them send that as well.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:15 AM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

They are sending me a new guide rod. The new firing pin can wait for now, and I am reserving the right to send the pistol back.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 05-03-2014, 02:27 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1866 Times on 1279 Posts
Likes Given: 690

I had the same problem with my P3AT. I would send it back if you still can. I have to fix something about my P3AT all the time. I doubt it fires 250 rounds without breaking something. I only use standard FMJ ammo in the P3AT.

I keep my kel tec pistols running well enough to bet my life on them but I will never own another Kel Tec regardless of the price.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 05-03-2014 at 02:30 AM.

Old 05-12-2014, 01:27 AM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I got the new guide rod and the problem has not reared its head (yet).

Amendment II:

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 05-12-2014, 01:38 AM   #6

Liked 64 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My p11 had a problem with the take down pin coming loose when fired. One email to keltec. And they mailed me a new one. No charge guns been working flallly sinceo

Old 05-12-2014, 01:48 AM   #7
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2129 Times on 1168 Posts
Likes Given: 635

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I had the same problem with my P3AT. I would send it back if you still can. I have to fix something about my P3AT all the time. I doubt it fires 250 rounds without breaking something. I only use standard FMJ ammo in the P3AT.

I keep my kel tec pistols running well enough to bet my life on them but I will never own another Kel Tec regardless of the price.
Like you said with scopes, everyone can have a lemon. I had a P3AT and it was reliable. I sold it because I just did not like it. I did not like the LCP either. I traded off a very good P11 for a PF9 and it was a bad mistake. The PF 9 was never reliable. The old P11 never had a gun related malfunction in over 6K rounds of anything that would fit in it. It had been tuned by the gunsmith I bought it from. I thought it might be nearing the end of its life span with that many rounds. I traded the PF9 off for something but dont remember what. I picked up a newer model P11 but it just did not have the same feel. It was reliable through the 400-500 rounds I put through it. I would like to get a Sub2000 with Beretta mags.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 05-12-2014, 01:56 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1866 Times on 1279 Posts
Likes Given: 690

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertusa123 View Post
My p11 had a problem with the take down pin coming loose when fired. One email to keltec. And they mailed me a new one. No charge guns been working flallly sinceo
My P11 is pretty sturdy. So far the only thing that breaks is the ejector. Once the ejector gets a shiny spot from contact with the slide call for a new ejector and roll pin. It won't be long until the ejector breaks. I almost didn't buy my Glock because it has the same type ejector. I am glad I did get the Glock 19. It's the only 9mm you will find that has a 15 round capacity and a 4" barrel that you can pocket carry.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 05-12-2014, 03:27 AM   #9
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2129 Times on 1168 Posts
Likes Given: 635

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
My P11 is pretty sturdy. So far the only thing that breaks is the ejector. Once the ejector gets a shiny spot from contact with the slide call for a new ejector and roll pin. It won't be long until the ejector breaks. I almost didn't buy my Glock because it has the same type ejector. I am glad I did get the Glock 19. It's the only 9mm you will find that has a 15 round capacity and a 4" barrel that you can pocket carry.
I ran into something interesting yesterday. The lgso handed me his G19 with a Crimson Trace LG619 that goes on the back strap and the gun fit my hand. Filling in that back made a big difference.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:04 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 548 Times on 333 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Kel-Tec's CS is amazing. I also love how inexpensive their parts are. Speaking of, I need to go order me the takedown/barrel retaining/slide retaining thingy ma-bobby pin for my PF9.

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"