Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > KBI O/U: both barrels went off

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2010, 02:07 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default KBI O/U: both barrels went off

I'm selling some guns for the family of a recently-deceased friend. I test-fire everything before putting it up for sale, just so I know it is functional. Anyway, one of the pieces is a KBI (made in Russia by Baikal, I believe) O/U 12 ga., single trigger. I'm not real familiar with O/Us, but knew that some have barrel selectors. Saw no selector and figured it must just go to the second barrel after the first has discharged. Well, both went off at the same time. I do know THAT'S not supposed to happen.

Anyone know anything about these things, i.e. is this something I, with my minimal 'smithing skills, should be able to fix?

Any help would be appreciated.

"Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet." Gen. James Mattis, USMC

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-16-2010, 05:30 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8607 Times on 3731 Posts
Likes Given: 1323

DISCLAIMER- NOT FAMILIAR WITH your PARTICULAR SHOTGUN.

Sorry, dang cap lock key-
In general, "doubling" happens when you have worn parts- usually the sear. It is holding back the cocked striker, but under recoil, slips, and the second barrel fires a milisecond after the first.

I know that some of these depend on recoil to move firing to the second barrel. As critical as tolerances could be, and the significant results of a "whoops" when a barrel discharges when you did not pull trigger (like maybe bumping the stock hard) I would be in favor of taking this one to a smith that knows HOW to adjust the parts needed for a SAFE and reliable gun.

Think it was Dirty Harry that said "A man's gotta know his limits."

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 03-20-2010, 12:51 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks, 'preciate the info. I doubt that it's a wear issue, as this gun has been used very little. I'll get it to a 'smith in any case.

"Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet." Gen. James Mattis, USMC

Old 03-20-2010, 12:55 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Get it right C3...Dirty Harry said, "a man has got to know his limitations..."

Take it to a smith. I love doubles but not at the same time.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 03-20-2010, 01:35 PM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

There are 2 types of double barrel reset for the 2nd barrel when they are selective barrel (single trigger)-recoil and mechanical. You also have non-selective single trigger, which yours is. It sounds like the sear for the second barrel is malfunctioning. You need to take it in to a smith as double barrels are frustrating to work on sometimes, and you do need special tools such as a mainspring compressor.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!